Lure making resources

Finally got a couple of new books in the mail today :boat: • Making wooden fishing lures• What fish see: understanding optics and colour shifts for designing lures and fliesI’m still waiting on…• The Complete Book of Tackle MakingI have decided (much to the opposition of my missus) that I need to spend more time doing fishing related activities so I’m going to have a crack at designing and knocking up lures. As with everything I do some literature is always needed to get me started. I’ve had a quick read of both of these books and couldn’t rate them higher! They are awesome reads and the lure making one has heaps of step-by-step instructions with pictures. Hopefully I’ll have the third book soon as I believe that it will prove to be the best book of the three!I’m on the right track now and I just need to get a few more tools and materials together before I dive right into it. I know there are a few on here that make lures but have many of you lads/ladies given it a go?Any success stories? That is what I look forward to most, creating a lure out of a piece of wood and catching a fish on it! :woohoo: Cheers fishers!Squid

statesquider, it is great fun and there is nothing better than catching a fish on a lure you have made yourself. If you plan to make a few timber lures, best advice I can give you would be to get yourself a belt sander and either a ban saw or a scroll saw as it will make the whole process a lot easier and less tedious. 240, 360 and 400 grit sandpaper, super strength araldite, some 2mm polycarbonate sheet, stainless steel wire, and a few basic tools and you will be set. Some use rattle can paints, others airbrushes, depends how serious you are, or how fussy!But let me just say it is a love hate relationship at times, and it will take over you once the bug of catching one on your own has bitten and the back shed will become your home.Shoot me PM if you get stuck at any stage!Heres a custom job I did up the up the other day for a bloke in one of the 110mm cod lures. All good fun.photo.JPGCheers.

Cheers heaps lads :)I figure i'll start out with a tenon and a coping saw ;) until funds allow me to upgrade!Certainly wont be afraid to shoot you a PM in the near future. I'm buying a dremel some time this week to make things a bit quicker in the shaping process so that should be fun next weekend.I figure i'll start with some poppers and stickbaits until i get the hang of things as these are the main lures i use.When i get my act together i will definitely be setting myself up with an airbrush so i can put decent finishes on the lures but I figure what is most important is getting the shape right and getting them to swim the way i want.Got the other book late yesterday :) It literally has everything in it! Cheers

I was exatly where you are at the start of this year, attempting to make my own lures.It took a lot of research and a LOT of trial and error but now can make minnows anytime I like.Best thing is the possibilities are endless and being able to customize them perfectly to your style of fishing.I have the book "how to make wooden lures" and found it a great help but to be honest visit lurelovers.com.au this site is the best I've found with heaps of pro lure makers willing to help you out.Definitely get a bandsaw and belt sander it will make life a lot easier with getting everything even and square.Have fun and let us know how you goPosted ImageHere's a few I made needing hardware.

Nice looking timberies daniel, like the profile. It's probably detailed in the lure making books, but another usefull thing to use for the timberies, is a 2d outline of the lure which you trace straight onto the timber. I made a couple from 2mm polycarbonate, especially useful if you plan to make a few of the same lure. Few minutes on the ban saw, then belt sander and youre half way there. Some then draw the top profile as a sanding line reference.