Hey all....I just got my first fly tying kit from E bay. So now i need to pick a few flies to tie and order the materials to tie them....one of those will be fishnuts prawn fly video that he so kindly posted.As you can imagine for a beginner there are a million bits and pieces out there, so i think i need to buy a book or something covering all the topics!Do i have to buy certain types of fly tying hooks or can i just go on down to bcf and pick out a few packs of hooks to which i fancy? (I'm guessing it goes on how heavy you would like the hook to be)Im going to start of trying small prawns, shrimp and little baitfish kinda things....?cheers.

Hi Trouthunter,Mate the best way to start is to pick a pattern you want to tie and then buy the supplies to tie that particular fly. Practice it until you get it right then move onto another one. You will slowly accumulate gear that way. Oh and also hang around Spotlight for a few hours as they have heaps of stuff in there that you can use for tying.For your hooks for saltwater buy stainless or the new Z-Steel hooks from Mustad. The hooks you need should be O'Shaunnessy style or Aberdeen style. The Aberdeen hooks are only freshwater hooks but I still use them on flies that aren't too complicated to tie so if they rust you haven't wasted too much time in the tying. They are sticky sharp though.Hooks are the most important part of fly tying because if you use a crap hook and you miss the fish of a lifetime you'll never forgive yourself for buying cheap ones. I've just spent $100.00 on some special hooks to tie Classic Salmon flies and they are just going to sit in a frame with pretty feathers tied to them :laugh: If you want good hooks buy Mustad, Gamakatsu or Diachi. Gamakatsu do a very nice Aberrdeen style hook in all sizes and they are well priced. Mustad and Gamakatsu are my favourites.You need the hook point to be in line with the shank so your fly will swim straight so don't use Octopus style hooks or anything with a twist in the bend. Good luck and I hope that helps you out a bit.Cheers Darren

Hi Trouthunter' date='Mate the best way to start is to pick a pattern you want to tie and then buy the supplies to tie that particular fly. Practice it until you get it right then move onto another one. You will slowly accumulate gear that way. Oh and also hang around Spotlight for a few hours as they have heaps of stuff in there that you can use for tying.For your hooks for saltwater buy stainless or the new Z-Steel hooks from Mustad. The hooks you need should be O'Shaunnessy style or Aberdeen style. The Aberdeen hooks are only freshwater hooks but I still use them on flies that aren't too complicated to tie so if they rust you haven't wasted too much time in the tying. They are sticky sharp though.Hooks are the most important part of fly tying because if you use a crap hook and you miss the fish of a lifetime you'll never forgive yourself for buying cheap ones. I've just spent $100.00 on some special hooks to tie Classic Salmon flies and they are just going to sit in a frame with pretty feathers tied to them :laugh: If you want good hooks buy Mustad, Gamakatsu or Diachi. Gamakatsu do a very nice Aberrdeen style hook in all sizes and they are well priced. Mustad and Gamakatsu are my favourites.You need the hook point to be in line with the shank so your fly will swim straight so don't use Octopus style hooks or anything with a twist in the bend. Good luck and I hope that helps you out a bit.Cheers Darren[/quote']CHEERS!!!! thats all i needed to know! Cheers Darren..... yeah I've started buying certain material for certain flies and it does add up..... but like you said it just keeps building the life long collection.Cheers.

Thanks man.....yeah i went to spotlight today and got confused haha i got some bead eyes some wire and thread and things like that, but i orders some stuff on ebay and a good 50$ worth of material for some flies i picked out of motackle.do you have any info or websites on cheap fly tying gear?I don't have any thing yet but thread and some hooks so I've just been practicing with the whip finishing tool.Cheers Trouthunter

Thanks man.....yeah i went to spotlight today and got confused haha i got some bead eyes some wire and thread and things like that' date=' but i orders some stuff on ebay and a good 50$ worth of material for some flies i picked out of motackle.do you have any info or websites on cheap fly tying gear?I don't have any thing yet but thread and some hooks so I've just been practicing with the whip finishing tool.Cheers Trouthunter[/quote']Trouthunter,Chris at Flyworld in Perth does mail order and he has everything you'll ever need in his shop.http://www.flyworld.com.au/view/homeHe also has a toll free phone number so you can ring him for free.Ebay is ok but make sure you know what you are after and how much it costs before you buy from there. I buy alot of my gear from the U.S. so if you want some shops over there drop me a PM and I'll put you onto some.Fishermans Paradise in the city doesn't hold very much tying stock anymore because Keith was having trouble selling it here in S.A, he does sell tied flies but what's the use in that as you want to tie your own.Cheers Darren

G'day Mate, Go see Simon in Fishermans Parradise. they have a fair bit of stuff, I'm not to sure when Darren last went in there but since I have been going there its only been getting bigger and if they dont have is simon will order in and normaly has it within the week. Also I have ordered things from Flyworld and it has taken over 6 weeks to get a few rolls of thread.Cheers Dale

G'day Mate' date=' Also I have ordered things from Flyworld and it has taken over 6 weeks to get a few rolls of thread.Cheers Dale[/quote']Hi Goldy,I've never experienced that mate, everthing has always been delivered Express post within a couple of days and free postage aswell. Maybe it's who you know and not what you know but I've always had great service, I always phone in my order and I don't put my order in through the website.Fishermans Paradise is worth a look but the last time I spoke to Keith he said he was winding down the tying gear so I haven't been back. I'd still prefer to buy interstate as the selection is far greater and if trouthunter can, the U.S. is the only place to buy at the moment.Trouthunter check out here http://www.saltwaterflies.com/catalog.htmlCheers Darren

The Caddis Fly Shop over in the US is the best place I have found for materials [1]. They have a huge range and will do free shipping if your order goes above a certain price.Cabelas also have some awesome materials kits for basic stuff [2]. The materials are usually from Wapsi, so the quality is good. However, the hooks are some random "Lightning Strike" shite haha. As a beginner though, I honestly can't tell the difference between these hooks and my Kamasan hooks. Shipping is expensive, but they often have insane sales where you can pick stuff up at ridiculous prices. For example, I recently purchased a complete vice and tool kit with a wooden box [3] for about $25! I also got one of those materials kits for half price. These sales are awesome, because Cabelas prices are already great.You usually receive stuff from both shops within 2 weeks. That said, if you need something in a hurry, you can't go past Fisherman's Paradise. They also give great advice, which is worth a heck of a lot more than the few pennies you save shopping online, particularly for beginners.[1] http://www.caddisflyshop.com/fly-tying.html[2] http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Fly-Tying-Kits%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103883580/Cabelas-Material-Kit/711028.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-tying-fly-tying-kits%2F_%2FN-1100438%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103883580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat104340780[3] http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Cabelas-Deluxe-Tool-Kit-with-Case/732320.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-tying-tools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480%3FWTz_l%3DEML%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat108619380%253Bcat104721480&WTz_l=EML%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat108619380%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat103884480