The missus gets the Alvey reel and I get the Penn Senator 114H 6/0

• 2 months later...

The boss had a bitch fit when she tried out the alvey. She ended up with the Daiwa Emcast 6000. Good price and spool designed for holding a long length line and long casting. Especially like the strong shaft the spool sits on. Very little flex when fully extended during winding.The pic is the Penn Senator 114H 6/0 reel and looks rather small against my tall lanky body. The fish is 50cm Mangrove Jack, renouned for fighting like Pig Dogs and this one did not disappoint. DSCF4022.jpgFished a small estuary surrounded by a mangrove swamp the other night, with the 15 foot "surf rod", 100lb line and a size 10 Gamakatsu Live Bait Hook.The extra length of the rod allowed me to just drop the line into the water and fish a deep channel with me safely away from the crocs.Not much room to move and I knew if I had to land a big brute, it would have to be "South Oz Tuna Style".The bait was suspended just beneath the water, so just had a 60lb rated ball bearing swivel seperating the main line with a 100lb shock leader trace....to make a long story short, the Penn reel behaved flawlessly in handling this brutal fighter.I don't think that reel even broke a sweat when I fought the Jack and stopped it from gunning it to the shelter of the mangrove roots and the reel did not cringe when I dragged the Jack out of the water and threw that pig over my head with a thrust of my rod. The size 10 Carbon Steel Gamakatsu Live Bait Hook was up to the task and held its shape.Very impressed with this American made reel.PS....there actually is such a thing as reel envy (akin to penis envy). Size does matter and when I stand on a creek bank with the 15' rod and that 6/0 Penn reel, I actually do have the bigger balls and notice the other fisherman with their tiny over-priced reels and fancy rods dropping their jaws at my setup.

nice set up B) I use a MT8144 and a Senator 4/0 spooled with 50lb on the FWC for mullies and sharks for the last 20 years or so.I can only cast it 30 or 40 yards,but on those beaches with the gutters so close to shore,that's all you need ;) A South African mate put me onto that set-up..........he (and his mates,along with most of the beach fishing brigade) used it a lot off their beaches,for sharks, rays and kob.........which I'm pretty sure we call mulloway :unsure: