ive recently being trying out a cannon to launch my bait with.....awesome piece of gear to see in action.....but i cant keep a bait on....basicly its a cylinder with a barrel on it...pump up to 60psi and crack the valve....ive seen the line peel off at a great rate of knots, and can launch a rig 200mtres from shore...( not kidding)trouble is though,the bait goes from zero to mach speed in a fraction of a secong,and i cant keep a bait in the hooks.... even a whole frozen tommie gets ripped apart when it fires....if i use just the sinker its been flung over 400 mtres.....alas all good things must come to an end and it was given back and destoryed after a kiindly word from a friendly police officer that "DESTROY IT OR ELSE" comment sort of put the wind up us a bit....

Try making some sort of "wad" to support the bait as it accelerates. IE a plastic cup so bait and sinker sit inside cup. The cup goes inside the tube then as it comes out of the tube air resistance will slow the cup. The sinker and bait will continue line will tangle around eyelet of rod . Then the whole lot ends up 50m away in a big birds nest.

its all over and done with now....we put the bazzooka under a 300 tonne press at work and killed it.....basicly it was a 4 ft tube,with an airtank on the bottom, a special lead sinker was machined up on a lathe that went into the barrel.(looked exactly like a slug gun slug....cept an inch in diametre)....when pressure was good you cracked the valve,sinker hit warp speed,taking the line and hooks out further than ANYONE could cast....trouble was the velocity of the sinker was too great for the bait....i even had to use 50lb line on the sinker trace to keep it attached....when the sinker came out,it did a great job of taking the line and hooks out,but the hooks ripped clean out or through the bait...no matter what it was.

Could have a lot of fun with that thing. I'd have one mounted to my boat just in case I was attacked by pirates.....or ranger :icon_e_surprised:

Rocknev, it's time to hit the shed, coz ya first order is coming through!I'm after a bow mounted swivel model, both port and starboard fixed mount, and maybe a smaller handheld I can keep on the poopdeck! ;DLet's see em all come anchor alongside me now! :icon_evil:

Hey guys, I use one to great success when fishing the further gutters on the west coast, and the mouth. We use a totem tennis ball on the main line held in place with with split shots as a float and load that into the tube, and leave the trace with bait attached hanging out. BANG, away you go, the bait stays off the bottom and away from the crabs and you have a built in float.Ninja

thats a good idea....do you have trouble keepig the bait on the hooks when its launched? that was my main issue....no matter what i put on hooks,when this thing went off it would pull the hooks from the bait at as low as 50psi....and its been tested at 150psi,but we couldnt get the pressure in there with a foot pump.how far does yours launch?

thats a good idea....do you have trouble keepig the bait on the hooks when its launched? that was my main issue....no matter what i put on hooks,when this thing went off it would pull the hooks from the bait at as low as 50psi....and its been tested at 150psi,but we couldnt get the pressure in there with a foot pump.how far does yours launch?

We haven't had problems yet, except with the police. lol. the longest we have lobbed an unbaited set of hooks, in a test fire was about 400mtrs. To hit the back gutters on the west coast, and the second gutter at the mouth, we have found that we have to stop the spool or we will shoot over it.I have seen an orange cannon being used with hairspray as the propellant (sp), don't know how effective it would be though due to the flames. we used a small bottle of compressed air with a valve on it so I'm not sure of the PSI, but I would think that would be easier than a foot pump.I will try and get it off my mate tonight and post some pics for you.Ninja

here is what it used to look like......all stainless steel.thick walled pipe with the tank fitted with a gauge,standard car fitting,and stainless valve.....Posted ImagePosted Image the special sinker we got made up...made a mould and got the raw sinker machined down.it has a piece of wire in the backside of it....attached a swivel with 50lb line to the wire,then inseted the sinker pointy end first into the barrell.....when fired it comes out,turns and takes line with it....anything less than 50lb sinker trace just snapped...Posted ImagePosted Image

• 3 weeks later...

not a bad idea at all...just ur basic spud cannon which i think is covered with just the class A&B gun licence which isnt hard to get at all(i got mine about a year ago) solong as you have no police record just go to ur local cop shop and ask them.

yeah tried that.... this thing IS VERY capable of destroying everything it hits..... so got told in a very stern voice to get rid of it or else.....hence it went under a 300 tonne press at work......