Hi guysShort story: Did a number of fly fishing trips to the snowies as a teenager, lost interest in fly fishing due to the general lack of awesome water here at home, recently got back into fly fishing, have spent a lot of time mucking around in the Adelaide hills, now frustrated and yearning for a decent sized catch.Basically I just want to catch an edible fish on a fly, without travelling interstate. I'm more than happy to buy a saltwater outfit and give that a shot. If you could name one place around Adelaide where my goal is most easily achieved, where would it be and what kind of gear (rod, line and fly) would you use? I'm at the point now where I will just keep going to that spot until I get something or quit, haha!Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input. I will definitely give St. Kilda a try. My research indicates that pink/white Clousers and clear sink-tip lines are popular choices for flathead. Is this what you would recommend? If so, can you recommend any lines in particular? I'm looking at the two in the links below, but I'm open to any other suggestions. They both seem to be tropical lines, so I'm not sure if that is even appropriate here.http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/mastery-textured-series/mastery-textured-series-saltwater-clear-tip.htmlhttp://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/saltwater/Tropical-F-ICheers

Hey mate,A mate of mine and my uncle do.a fair bit of local flyfishing.(like AFF and the Powderfinger song suggest... 'its not my kinda scene' either, so this is just my observations)1. Join a club. Find the fly fishers association, or just join SAFWAA and access their privately stocked dams and wealth of freshwater knowledge. From there, the info you get from likeminded fishing mates you'll meet, will dramatically change your luck.2. Move to Tasmania. The price of living is cheap as chips, plenty o jobs on seek, and access to sweet water paradise on yer doorstep.3. Salmon trout will soon be in plague proportions. No more easily accessible little sport fish that the humble ST.My fishing companions have a dozen or more fly sessions on these each winter. From what I understand they use a sinking fly with an 8weight something or other. The salmon readily take bait plastic hardbody blade, spinner, slice, fly......4. In the hills, my mate uses two flys. One floats on top as some kinda spotter, and the other suspends in the water column somehow. I'm told that there are big buck trout that skulk about and have no interest in my silly little bream lures and refuse bait. The way to get these smart old hulk trout, is to creep the bank, watch their movements and set yourself for the one chance cast to land a fly in the right spot without spooking the trophy fish ;) ...so they say. THE one thing I know is that if you really want something in fishing, you have to set your goals and then focus your effort on getting out and achieving it. Just get out and explore and enjoy :) If you are ever disappointed in a fishing trip, just give up, because as much as fishing is about milestones and PBs, the most important thing is passion for what you enjoy, and enjoying the journey of it. Fishing isn't always about catching fish ;)

If you want to give SWF a go you dont need to travel that far. Off the top of my head without thinking too hard Ive caught salmon, snook, snapper, flathead, bream, kingfish, whiting, mullet, tommies, squid all on fly and Ive missed a few as well but all you need to do is target these fish where you would normally go but use a flyrod instead.A clouser has got all of the above fish for me, I usually go for chatreuse and white. I use a clear intermediate most times but do have sink tips as well as floating lines, depends on where you are fishing and water depth.No need to get too fancy I usually run a length of flurocarbon in the appropriate strength for my leader and tie on my fly.Im no expert but thoroughly enjoy the pastime.....its a great way to catch a fish :) cheerssnapps

Theres some trophy trout in the humble Adelaide Hills Best Ive seen I estimated WELL into dbl figuresA mate and I thought it was a log from a tree before we realised it was a trout. If snapperheads no expert what does that make the rest of us :P Kingies on a 5# in SA gives u expert status in my book mate :clap::clap:

Highfly your no beginner yourself...Mate best bang for buck is the Aussie Salmon, we can argue the eating quality but geez they rip the line off the reel. 5 -6 - 7 - 8 weights are all good here. Intermediate line with a clouser is all you need.After that I would try for the Drummer with a bread fly, again pretty average fare but go like stink.And then there is Squid, my good mate Foodha used to make his own squid jag fly and do really well with it and they taste pretty good too!Cheers