recently went and had a flick down at rapid bay jetty there were a coulple of squid and tommies that others had caught,but apon leaving a little dissapointed i noticed a dirt road on the left that apeared to lead to the southern side of rapid head. being usure of how long this road would go for and wether or not my car was capable of the terrain i decided not to sus it out . so my question is .. has anybody been over that side on the rocks and is it any good for any variety of fish on google maps it looks like a couple of safe places to fish from and even a small river or creek any information on this area would be of intrest :boot: [map][/map]

G'day Fuji. I think you might find that the track leads to the quarry and is off limits. I have heard of a fishing location around the corner from Rapid head. The location is called Yoho rock and I think the access point in down through one of the farms past the Delamere general store. There's a road not far past the general store called Yoho rd. This could give you a bit of a clue on how to get there. I have not been to this location before but have only heard by word of mouth.

• 2 years later...

Hi piratepete and fujiforester. FYI there is NO ACCESS to the coast south of Rapid Head through farmland. This is PRIVATE PROPERTY, no trespassing please. Also I am aware that some GPS' show a connecting road from the end of Yoho Rd to Rapid Bay. This is incorrect, the road was gazetted in 1860, but never built. I think that south of Rapid Bay, the next public access is Morgan's Beach.

G'day

I think much of the area you are talking about would fall in to the marine park no take zone for that area.  Here's a pic, to the right is another no take zone with the yellow bit indicating shore fishing is allowed.   This doesn't apply to the rapid head zone

Cheers

Rod

rapid head no take.PNG

Rod is correct. The lack of access is for your safety. This area is known locally as "the Slips" for good reason, and a handbrake is useless if you get into trouble. There  have been some nasty accidents here and there is no mobile coverage. Sorry to be a party pooper.