BLOOD WORMS IN ST KILDA

So i took the boat out last night Sunday 19/8/2012,, trying, hoping too catch something.Anything would off been fine as 1st time i been out for a few months.. Anyways i head to my normal spot very calm out there not too cold ether..After about hr not even a nibble and i can see fish down there thanks to my new second hand fish finder i got from firefly, Which work a treat but THE FISH NOT HUNGRY. So I turn on my night lights hoping to pull some squid, when i saw this blood worm wriggle bye, follow by another, then another and so on.. Not kidding there were hundreds of these things and all i had to catch them was my squid jag.. spewing because 2 hrs later i only managed to hook about 20 :(.. Apparently the guy at boat ramp said once a year on the same day these things spawn he had a bucket full off em and the net to fish em out off the ocean..So next year on the 19/8/2013 i am heading back with a 20 dollar net that should off already been in the boat to try again.. lesson learned B)

Date of the new moon is the the most important factor concerning these slimy fish food morsals so i wouldbe checking when the new moon is out next year in the months of june, july, & august. Of course the blood worms will still run a few nights after the new moon & gradually taper off, stop for a while till the next new moon. if you see the full spectacle of this the outer harbour area of the port river when the run hits its peakthere balls of these breeding bloodworms up to 2 metres in diameter a few years back a couple of mates & myself went out late one night dabbing & after a dozen dabs with the shrimp net & 3 of us had enough blood worm baits for the rest of the years fishing!