Instant Predator take off a dead accurate cast

Out Pike fishing on a Hampshire Gravel pit. Paul finds a very nice bay that is holding a good head of small roach that are being chased by Pike in the Margins. Paul decides to use a red and yellow bodied mepps 5 with a copper blade to simulate the fleeing roach. He makes a dead- accurate cast just a few inches from the point and is rewarded with a beautiful double that takes the spinner within 2 seconds of the lure hitting the water. Accuracy is everything with predator fishing. He manages to release the fish in the water as he is using barbless hooks for a quick release.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4kBOy7hUE&feature=plcp

Hi AFFGravel pits are generally old quarries that have been put to good use by turning them into fishing lakes. Don't know about now, but back when I was fishing them over 30 years ago they were generally, but not always, pay to fish. The quarry owners turned them into fishing lakes & then charged you to go fishing there, sort of keeping an income from something that wasn't used any more. Generally well stocked and very good fisheries so we didn't mind paying, especially in Hampshire, which just happens to be where I'm from originally, there is a preponderance of super expensive chalk stream/rivers for trout and salmon, but coarse fishing opportunities were limited until these gravel pits started opening up.As you can see from Paul's videos the lakeside vegetation suggests that some of these lakes have been around for quite a while and some had excellent reputations for Pike even before I left the UK in 1981.Interesting to see that despite the number of different hard bodied lures being made for virtually all species of fish these days, Paul is still catching Pike on a good old Mepps number 5. If it aint broke, don't fix it.CheersWahoo

Hi AFFGravel pits are generally old quarries that have been put to good use by turning them into fishing lakes. Don't know about now' date=' but back when I was fishing them over 30 years ago they were generally, but not always, pay to fish. The quarry owners turned them into fishing lakes & then charged you to go fishing there, sort of keeping an income from something that wasn't used any more. Generally well stocked and very good fisheries so we didn't mind paying, especially in Hampshire, which just happens to be where I'm from originally, there is a preponderance of super expensive chalk stream/rivers for trout and salmon, but coarse fishing opportunities were limited until these gravel pits started opening up.As you can see from Paul's videos the lakeside vegetation suggests that some of these lakes have been around for quite a while and some had excellent reputations for Pike even before I left the UK in 1981.Interesting to see that despite the number of different hard bodied lures being made for virtually all species of fish these days, Paul is still catching Pike on a good old Mepps number 5. If it aint broke, don't fix it.CheersWahoo[/quote']Thanks for that Wahoo; :) I thought I was pretty close ;) I did a site search of Mepps and couldnt find a number 5, tho I seem to recall hearing of them myself :huh: I did find some carp lures tho for the freshies amongst us ;)http://www.mepps.com/species/carp/5

@TB Loving the long nose release pliers used!Look like 9 inch artery forceps. Surgical Stainless steel, clip together at the top so they don't come undone. Been using my pair for over 30 years and still going strong. You can sometimes buy cheap imitations in tackle shops but they don't last as long and they're not as rigid. Wahoo

@TB Loving the long nose release pliers used!Look like 9 inch artery forceps. Surgical Stainless steel' date=' clip together at the top so they don't come undone. Been using my pair for over 30 years and still going strong. You can sometimes buy cheap imitations in tackle shops but they don't last as long and they're not as rigid. Wahoo[/quote']You could try McNeil surgical supplies on Magill Rd ;)