Pt Lincoln NP/Memory Cove

Hi folks,I'm a recent migrant to South Australia from Austin Texas. I primarily fly fish and lure fish from my kayak. My wife and I are spending a few days in Pt Lincoln NP after Christmas, specifically at Memory Cove. Does anyone have any advice about this area? Is it worth fishing? Any hope of catching anything, Flathead, Snook, Salmon trout in Memory Cove? If so I expect soft plastics are the best bet, correct? I'd be grateful for any comments.Best regards,jt

Hi folks' date='I'm a recent migrant to South Australia from Austin Texas. I primarily fly fish and lure fish from my kayak. My wife and I are spending a few days in Pt Lincoln NP after Christmas, specifically at Memory Cove. Does anyone have any advice about this area? Is it worth fishing? Any hope of catching anything, Flathead, Snook, Salmon trout in Memory Cove? If so I expect soft plastics are the best bet, correct? I'd be grateful for any comments.Best regards,jt[/quote']Hi mate, I've camped there a few times, and yes it is definitely worth fishing. :woohoo: We've only fished land based, but have caught big Tommies, Flathead, KGW, Squid, Leather Jackets, Sweep, Wrasse and Groper. All these were caught off the rocks not far from the beach. There is a walking trail to the right of the beach that will lead you to the rocks at the entrance of the Cove and you can fish into some seriously deep water here, which opens up some more options, but take care on these rocks, not for the faint hearted and have seen scarely big :sh shapes in the water here. Good luck, it's a seriously beautiful place. ;)
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,Late follow up, but I ended up having a pretty successful weekend. Probably a half dozen salmon trout on the fly and about the same number of small flathead also on a fly wading in very shallow water. A bit further out in the yak, right along the weed line (which you can see distinctly in piratepom's photo), it was too deep for a fly, but caught 3 nice king george whiting between 40 and 50 cm and a dozen keeper flathead, the largest was almost 55cm - caught them on soft plastics bouncing them on the bottom up to the weed bed, then sped up the retrieve and swam them just above the weeds. Wham! Great fun. The parks and wildlife dept limit the access to Memory Cove so a beautiful spot, with very little traffic. Highly recommended. Admittedly, it's a long drive from Adelaide.

• 2 months later...
Hi guys' date='Late follow up, but I ended up having a pretty successful weekend. Probably a half dozen salmon trout on the fly and about the same number of small flathead also on a fly wading in very shallow water. A bit further out in the yak, right along the weed line (which you can see distinctly in piratepom's photo), it was too deep for a fly, but caught 3 nice king george whiting between 40 and 50 cm and a dozen keeper flathead, the largest was almost 55cm - caught them on soft plastics bouncing them on the bottom up to the weed bed, then sped up the retrieve and swam them just above the weeds. Wham! Great fun. The parks and wildlife dept limit the access to Memory Cove so a beautiful spot, with very little traffic. Highly recommended. Admittedly, it's a long drive from Adelaide.[/quote']hi Jturner, what plastics worked for you over there? did you catch KGW on sp's or have i drawn that conclusion myself???

Hi Crusher,All fish were caught on fly or soft plastics using 1/4 and 3/8 oz jigs.I've attached a photo of the most successful flies and soft plastics.On the retrieve I Iet the jig reach the bottom then three quick twitches and let the bait flutter back to the bottom. Keeping up with the slack, the fish typically took on the drop.photo_sp_fly_memorycove.jpg

Noting the nuclear chicken (2nd from left) performed the best (i.e. caught the most fish overall). However all the KGW's were caught on the chartreuse grub (far right in the photo). And the salmon were all on fly in a few feet of water' date=' mostly around dusk, stripping very fast. Salmon trout like the fly moving.[/quote']Champion, Thanks for your help.

Just a foot note Memory cove had a movie shot there back in the 80's it was called blue water white death Y tube it hope your Kayak isn't yum yum yellow :woohoo:

while at Spec Savers today getting an eye check up ( and new prescription polaroids :woohoo: :woohoo: ) this film came up in conversation. the woman serving me, her husband shot a lot of that footage for the film, he is based down at glenelg dive now. back on topic.. great place.. my girl and i are planning a trip there for a few days!

Wholly cow...kayaking at memory cove......faaaarrrrk that!!White Death is regularly seen there and Neptune Island is only about 40kms away where they actually train dozens of different white sharks to eat people!!A cray fisherman showed me a trick once to test whether there's any white sharks about. Throw several pieces of fuel size newspaper pages into the water and wait about for about half an hour.If there's any pointers in the area their curiosity will get the better of them and they'll come up and snaffle the floating pages.Pointers will have a go at just about anything thats reasonably large and floating.

Just a foot note Memory cove had a movie shot there back in the 80's it was called blue water white death Y tube it hope your Kayak isn't yum yum yellow :woohoo:

while at Spec Savers today getting an eye check up ( and new prescription polaroids :woohoo: :woohoo: ) this film came up in conversation. the woman serving me' date=' her husband shot a lot of that footage for the film, he is based down at glenelg dive now. back on topic.. great place.. [b']my girl and i are planning a trip there for a few days[/b]!
anything you want me to suss out for you?

cant keep any groper Land based in that area. have to go past Cape Carnot in Whalers Way. to be able to keep a bluey... PM me for some land based areas if your real keen. my best landed is 20lb of the rocks.. and lost a heap more much much larger.. as for nanygai, a friend of mine caught a few of them locally in lincoln off the parnkalla trail.. as well as snapper!