Imported Cockle's Work Well

Guest 10percentcatch90

Guest 10percentcatch90

Went out chasing whiting the other day with a bag of imported cockle's ,the whiting loved them.We ended up with 19 nice whiting between the 2 of us.I have heard of several charters using them as well with great success.So get out there and catch some fish !!!!!

Guest dabilda

I bought a kilo a couple of weeks ago, found them to be just mush, impossible to get on the hook, let alone keep on it. Maybe if left in the sun to toughen up a bit and not try as soon as they thaw, or salt them, results may have been different. As for how they work as a bait, I never got a chance to find out. I'll be heading down to Goolwa as soon as I get a chance once the season opens.

Geeez....Not only can ya get imported cockles,but also pilchards.. :( :( Whats wrong with using HOME grown bait,and supporting AUUSIE company's,so what if ya have to pay more for them... ??? ??? Another option for you guys,instead of using IMPORTED,try using Soft Plastics you just might be suprised,to what ya can catch on them... So support the AUSSIE companies,and stop making some overseas bloke RICH.... To any tackle store or sponsor who stocks IMPORTED,I just believe ya should support ya aussie companies,thats my personal opinion, and no hard feeling's towards any of you... ;D ;D

Grumpy ever thought of the availablity of these items?? Local cockles are near on impossable to get now days and not going to get any easier. Those of us that fish use other baits when we cant get our hands on the goolwa cockles. I would not waste my time fishing for whiting with soft plastics either.

Grumpy we live in an import world !!!!Every thing from rod's and reels,terminal tackle, clothe's,TV's,food etc etc etc , i would suggest that we are all supporting imported goods in some way.It is life and supply and price is what drives it.Unless you are very rich to buy Australian products only ,then that is what makes imported products appealing.Keep Fishing and enjoy !

we live in an import world

Agreed! My sounder is made in Mexico, my Chartplotter in Italy, My television in Japan, my clothes in China, my fishing gear in Japan, geez, even my wife is made in China! :icon_eek:I always like to purchase Australian, but look on the shelves and you'll see just how difficult it is to actually buy Australian! All our manufacturing is going overseas where there's cheaper labour, our locally grown produce is dissapearing so now our fruit, veggies and nuts are being imported, even our raw steel is exported and then we buy it back! Bl**dy parliament house in Canberra is built with $7m worth of imported Italian marble!Our best seafood is exported and we're left with the dregs and they try to sell us crap Asian fish as a cheaper alternative!Australian products are built with quality we can rely on, but we just can't buy them anymore, so we have to choose substandard imported products!So I guess I'm gonna continue to sit on my imported couch, in my imported clothes, eating my imported nuts, while I watch my imported telly, and complain about the cost of power since our power company was privatised and sold to an offshore corporation!I don't wanna buy imported cockles either. Luckily to date I haven't had to, as I still have a supply of Goolwa cockles I collected myself, but should my stocks dry up, I guess I too will be forced to either look at the imported version for my Whiting fishing or switch to worms or squid instead!I'd like to import our bl**dy politicians from China, where they make em smaller and cheaper!

Here, Here Grumpy, but think, the next time you turn up to your local for a bag of cockles to be told in June that there will be none till November (in this case this year December) what will you think of your local? If he stood to his morals & refused to stock import, who's gonna feed his kids for 5 months? Traditionally I've tried to stockpile upwards of 4 pallets to keep my little store in supply thru the off season, wait till the '09 season, I'd expect half that at best. Bring on the Import. Sad as that is, it will be fact as it was this year. The question all of you should be asking is "which diggers are supplying the food industry" they single handedly have compromised the entire industry & 300,000 rec anglers. Fairly popular fellows down there at the moment.To point, my digger does not supply food industry, tackle stores only, how long for when fresh markets are demanding $40 a kilo, who knows, his allocation relative to the Food Suppliers is miniscual.Next time you buy cockles, ask your local who they come from, surprises all round I bet. Finatic

I would not waste my time fishing for whiting with soft plastics either. From Thahn.... Wrong....AS I have caught yellow fin whiting on 2 1/2" camo worms..... To every-one else...I hear ya...OK we live in a import world,but we have better stock right here in S.A. or in Australia... Here, Here Grumpy, but think, the next time you turn up to your local for a bag of cockles to be told in June that there will be none till November (in this case this year December) what will you think of your local?From Finatic.... Well if there is none available then there are plenty of other baits available,which all fish will take....Like squid,tube worms etc,etc...

Human nature is an interesting topic. I don't believe that too many people are that noble when it comes to money that they become self sacrificing matrys.Fact if someone offered any one of us three or four times the amount of money for our product is there any one out there that would say NO!I doubt it . Our cockle resource is in danger and I really think that it is a resource that most people have abused in some way, as a shop next to the water , in years gone by the wastage that I have witnessed with cockles is a disgrace bags and bags just dumped when people had finished using them left to rot and stink because they were so cheap that we did not appreciate them .Perhaps there is a lesson to be learn't from our current situation.

Might sound abit funny here guys but i even do it with Goolwa cockles ;) Was shown this by my mates dad at his shack quite a few years agobefore we go out we put the cockles in a small bucketand pour boiling water over them leave for five or so minutesthen do it againby doing this it slightly boils them and makes them quite hardier. ;)Have had a few complaints about the imports being soggy so i tried some this way and hey presto ;Djust another thoughtCheers

Guest 10percentcatch90

What a good tip ! Boiling water !I will give it a go !I brined some imported cockles, a litre of water, a kg ov salt, drop your cockles in whole, leave for about 12 hrs and pull them out to drain,then bag.This firms them up nicely,give it a go !!!!!The fish loved them.Enjoy your fishing1

A little off topic in this thread but it seems it has gone to the cows anyway,Yobbo, it seems you have a problem with me driving a WRX, well to add insult, my missus has an Outback (also Subaru), both are Japanese.We looked at Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi (now theres an anchor), all to no avail. Holdens equivalent uses 21 litres/100k, Fords 20 litres/100k both our cars use less than 10 litres/100k. Neither Ford or Holden stop well, ours stop on a dime & to date have not worn the pads to less than 60% after 70,000kms. Neither Ford or Holden handle well, I can only suggest the next offer of a ride in a WRX, take it up. Neither have 5 star safety ratings, both of ours do.Neither Ford or Holden have any resale value, paid under $40k for the Outback in Jan '06, had it valued on a new one recently @ $28k, not bad for 3 years equating to under $5k a year to keep it current, looked at a new WRX too, hated it, thus will keep mine. Both eat tyres, so do ours.Both have ridiculously expensive service schedules. Our 2 over 3 years have cost less than $1000. All this considered & yes I'm a petrol head, I could not find a local that could even go close to the vehicles we have so yes we bought imported, but, we did do it thru a local dealer so somebody in SA has a job out of it.So far as cockles goes, well who needs 'em anyway, Thanks God for Gulp.Finatic

A little off topic in this thread but it seems it has gone to the cows anyway,Yobbo, it seems you have a problem with me driving a WRX, well to add insult, my missus has an Outback (also Subaru), both are Japanese.Finatic

Not at all bloke. Take it with the pinch of salt that it was meant, like Grumpy did.
  • 4 weeks later...

Well this topic has defiantly hit some raw nerves, I like any rec angler in SA will shop around to find the best deal. I do however believe in using Goolwa Cockles and I do not use the import kind, the reason behind this is not because I am supporting local (although I am using this as a factor) it is just because I believe they work better. I also shop at Finatics store, Jonesy's store aswell as other local stores, the reason being that the different stores offer me different things. Such as convience, range of gear and quality of bait/gear. I do not favour anyone and try my best to spend my money where I the consumer will benefit the most whilst having an understanding that all these people have bills to pay and lives to live. I therefor say go forth and buy your bait local if you so choose or if you want to use imports because of the cost who cares, do it just do it from a LOCAL STORE! that is all that should matter :)/rant offHappy Fishing AllPenthrox