How do you use Soft Plastics?

I have recently bought some Squidgys and i was just wondering what sort of you rig you put them on and the method for fishing them?I think they are the wriggler type and the bloodworm colour.Do you cast them out and leave them there? Or retrieve slowly and jerk the tip of the rod?Do you fish the bottom, middle or surface and what can you catch, hoping for some bream ??? Any help would be appreciated, cheers red_devil :)

threading the hook onto the plastic: the plastic needs to be threaded as straight as possible, so that it swims properly. so lay the hook on top of the plastic, find where the hook should come out to make it stright and not scrunched up (usually i count the fin knotches if i'm using wrigglers).if seen people fish plastics a few different ways and it varries a little for different types of fish. when fishing for bream i usually let the lure sink to the bottom pause for a second or two, then lift the rod smoothly and give it a few winds. i can usually tell if a fish bites on the pause because i watch my line not the rod tip.for flatties i do a couple of quick jerky lifts, pause and then a couple of winds.good luck, hope you find your groove. lc

Hey, red_devil,Best tip I can give you is to beg, borrow or steal, Adam "Mad Dog" Royters "Berkley Gulp" soft plastics DVD. Tells you absolutely everything you'll ever want to know as regards SP's as he goes through the whole range and shows off the best style for each one.Great tips as well, I've just posted a catch of 88 Redfin in the Freshwater section on a "Bulky Hawg" which is used by him to catch a big Trout on the DVD. The tip he gave was to nip off the "Hawgs" claws to make it resemble a "Mudeye" (underwater buggy thingo). What more can I say, highly recommended, plus I know a keen redfin fisho who owns just such a DVD. ::)Good luck with your journey. ;)Cheers, tonyb.

A lot of it is trial and error ;) It depends on the conditions, your location and species you want to fish for, take Bream for example, crafty little buggers ;D they could be deep or high in the water column and that would determine the size jig head ya use. I have used the squidgy resin head fishing for bream in shallow water about 1 to 2 feet and a heavy jig head in deep water ;) and a light to medium in mid water. I would recommend using the Nitro Bream Pro series of jig heads grab a few different packets of weight and hook sizes.http://purefishing.com.au/nitro/breampro.htmlAlso what ya can do is grab a copy of the Berkley Soft Plastics DVD with Adam Royter ;), great DVD to learn SP fishing or grab the Squidgy DVD's not as good as the Berkley one but gives ya some good tips on using Squidgies ;) And drop into one of the Sponsor stores, Salisbury Tackle World, St Kilda Tackle and Tucker, Adelaide Bait and Tackle or Anglers Choice and they'll hook ya up with everything ya need from the gear, jig heads, plastics and the DVDs ;) Good luck