Noticed in my last few outings to surf beaches that sand crabs tend to hang round a bit. Also noticed that most gummies I caught either had them in their mouths or stomachs. Obviously This would be a good bait for gummies and most likely snapps. Will salmon and mullies take the bait as well? What's the best way to rig them up as I've never used crabs for bait, only for eating.

Noticed in my last few outings to surf beaches that sand crabs tend to hang round a bit. Also noticed that most gummies I caught either had them in their mouths or stomachs. Obviously This would be a good bait for gummies and most likely snapps. Will salmon and mullies take the bait as well? What's the best way to rig them up as I've never used crabs for bait' date=' only for eating.[/quote']Definitely no issues there but hard to see you life baiting A legal sized crab.

i use rock crabs for bait when targetting blue groper from the rocks. i find a few legs are enough of a bait for these fellas. but for mullys etc.. id probably say half a crab split down the middle. hook out the side of a leg. use rubber bands to secure the bait to the hook. would be difficult to not smash the crab too much when casting.for groper im fishing close to where i stand and just tossing the baits out unweighted.. different story surf casting..

i use rock crabs for bait when targetting blue groper from the rocks. i find a few legs are enough of a bait for these fellas. but for mullys etc.. id probably say half a crab split down the middle. hook out the side of a leg. use rubber bands to secure the bait to the hook. would be difficult to not smash the crab too much when casting.for groper im fishing close to where i stand and just tossing the baits out unweighted.. different story surf casting..

Thats the way to go I reckon.Most surf Mullies i"ve caught or seen gutted have had sand crabs in their stomachs as well....its funny how you never hear anyone using them.probably because if you spend 500 bucks on fuel ect to go away for a couple of days to YP, Salts ect its a bit hard to gamble on trying something your not sure will work.Maybe if things are quiet and there are a few crabs about throw one out on a second rod.I"m sure that sand crabs make up a large part of Mulloway,Gummys diet,even to the point that they are one of the main reasons these species come in to the surf gutters to feed. B)

Wouldn't look at live baiting a crab, damn thing will tangle your line id say. Was thinking a half or quarter crab. This way the other crabs would leave the bait alone and hopefully hook onto a Mully. Myself I've been sticking with mullet but im willing to try something new. If hooked correctly it should survive the cast and surf, surely?