G"day fish whisperer,never heard of those coming from NSW,but I have seen my old man use live silver whiting caught off the beach with awesome results in years go by.And have gutted mullies caught from YP beaches and found them as well as Sand Crabs in their guts,in fact pretty well every YP and SE Mully I"ve ever caught has had Sandys in them.But excuse my ignorance but if ST fillets are doing the job,why would you wanna use something else.You must of heard the old saying "If it aint broke dont fix it"Cheers

thanks for the old timer's advice- I am interested in these as a back up on trips when fresh baits are hard to get - as an alternative to pillies - I have used plenty of fresh silvers with great results out west(if I dont eat them first!)these frozen ones are a good size but slightly darker than than locals and come frozen in a vac pac of about 16

mullet are hard to get at present - still having good results on the salmon trout though - was also trying the old lacing the fillet with tuna oil trick(syringe and needle) but after 3 eagle rays last week I might give this a miss - plenty of small kindergaten mulloway(returned of course) and 1 good gummy though - all at salt creek on the full mooncheersfish whisperer

Hi there brooksey_134 -yes the gummy was on fresh salmon trout fillet and 3 snooded 8/0 mustad penetrators- these are good sharp hooks - my last good fish (15kg) had two of the snood through the skin just in front of the anus and they held well- it was like pulling in a 50 lb eagle ray as he was side on all the time in the rip. I heard there were a couple of medium sized Mulloway around (18-30lb) - but not on my line - getting way too popular down at salt creek - mid week and I could still see 20+ rods from my location - however, good to see all the juvenile mulloway around though, just hope they all get put back in CheersFish Whisperer

• 1 year later...

As previously mentioned, the Saury is a good bait. I was always partial to The Humble Pilchard - or as I prefer to call them The Smelly Muellie - for tailor, mulloway, snapper, kingfish, blue bone over in WA so I kinda continued that over here. Now, I use a smattering of Pilchard or Saury depending on a gut feeling that frequently does not work.Cheers.

• 6 months later...

we used pillies and sauries this season. My bro got a 45lb on the humble pillie, but the Saury stays on the hook much longer in the surf. my mate got a 61 pounder and i got a 35lb on Saury. There my new favourite dead bat for jews, they stay together extremly well, have high oil content & are nice size and colour.

It's a 25cm long, Pilchard looking type thing that stinks real bad and is loved by Mulloway, Salmon, Snapper, Shark and pretty much everything else.They are a lot bigger than a Pilchard and a lot more durable, especially after being frozen, thawed and refrozen a couple of times.They can be found at most tackle shops. I have seen them sold out occasionally but that's been rare.Cheers.