Fly Fishing

Was just having a PM with Petermar .And I said it takes a special breed to enjoy like love fly fishing .Now I am in no way an expert my failure at chasing Carp is proof of that .BUT what makes Fly Fishing so great for everyone .Me I love the hit on a fly I have tied myself.Love the fact not many of us are doing it and we stand out from the rest when we do .And I love being told you can't catch fish with that,the priceless looks the same person gives you when you catch a fish while they watch.Still I am not a 100% sure what makes it so great Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Still I am not a 100% sure what makes it so great

Heaps interested in your musings MJ,thinking back on my own 40+ years of on/off Fly Fishing I found it impossible to pin down a single part which kept me enthralled by it all :-\I reckon it's the whole experience. Being outdoors, sometimes in truly spectacular surroundings, being at one with the natural world,enjoying mans most primeval urge, to hunt!! The thrill of catching a wild animal in its own element where everything favours its native cunning developed from it's ancestors. The many pleasant hours working over the Fly tying vice to perfect a work of art which will convince your prey that this is better to eat than a real live insect. The "electric shock" of the strike on your weightless fly line and in most cases a spectacular aerial fight of the panic stricken fish trying to return to its natural element. Finally the joy, only a true angler knows, to release your fish back into the water for the pure renewal of spirit that the fish gave to you while you hunted it. Geez, I cant wait to get that rod out again.Cheers, tonyb.

quote author=tonyb link=topic=2790.msg25490#msg25490 date=1227775822]

Still I am not a 100% sure what makes it so great
Heaps interested in your musings MJ,thinking back on my own 40+ years of on/off Fly Fishing I found it impossible to pin down a single part which kept me enthralled by it all :-\I reckon it's the whole experience. Being outdoors, sometimes in truly spectacular surroundings, being at one with the natural world,enjoying mans most primeval urge, to hunt!! The thrill of catching a wild animal in its own element where everything favours its native cunning developed from it's ancestors. The many pleasant hours working over the Fly tying vice to perfect a work of art which will convince your prey that this is better to eat than a real live insect. The "electric shock" of the strike on your weightless fly line and in most cases a spectacular aerial fight of the panic stricken fish trying to return to its natural element. Finally the joy, only a true angler knows, to release your fish back into the water for the pure renewal of spirit that the fish gave to you while you hunted it. Geez, I cant wait to get that rod out again.Cheers, tonyb.It is nice to get woken up when your standing knee deep or more in salt water(well in west lakes anyway ;)).And suddenly wham bam your on .As I posted in the mulloway section casting that fly at bait fish that are boiling on the surface.Or the bait fish that hit your legs as they are being forced in towards shore .and you have to cast into a 15knot wind to get the Salmon Trout to take that fly and they do!!And that damn fly that sits on the surface when it should be sinking suddenly gets taken by a school mulloway and snap your off .And you can do all that in pvc green /khaki pants and not get arrested ;D