Catch and Release.

Afternoon all, Over the last two years i have mainly been fishing catch and release, as i enjoy watching the fish swim away more than i would going to the effort of prepping it for the table. Now when i release a fish i often get other fishermen or pedestrians on jetties giving me dirty looks or questioning why i am releasing the fish. I am not sure whether they want to keep the fish for themselves as they rarely state the fact or whether they are just curious, So i just thought it would be interesting to see if some of you guys offer your catch to others before returning it to the water?Cheers, S121.

no way I caught it, I release it, ive even been threatened down the port. a bloke thought i'd caught a bream for his dinner when I told him I was letting it go he went ballistic all that stopped him getting at me was I had my waders on & was standin in a couple of feet of water( I was fly fishing).

I only catch and release but unfortunately when the very few times that a fish doesn't revive and swim off i will either keep it for the table or i will offer to other fishermen but this is a very rare occurrence and is the only time i will offer .

Times 2.Very rarely a fish won't swim for me, then I offer it out.Catch and release is my favourite part of fishing, I get a buzz watching them swim away.Especially bream, flatties, and freshwater natives.
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep my fish but I support you guys releasing, if you kept it those other people wouldn't get it anyway so no reason to get angry you catch it it's your choice to keep or not, not the bystanders or other fisherman's choice quite a few people go fishing just for the fun of it Even though they don't like eating fish not a problem with that it gives the fish a chance to go back and breed at least. Although I would be frustrated if you caught a fish then went and fed it to a bird or threw it back dead before offering it to someone else, I say if it's going to survive go for it let it go if you want to.