light for night fishing

Check this thing out; a friend I used to fish with had one for when we went sharking and it is wicked.  The paddles can be taken off and used as individual torches and then when you click them back onto the main lantern they recharge.  Gives off plenty of light too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coleman-24-LED-8D-Quad-Lantern-190-Lumens-Ultra-Bright-with-4-Detachable-Panels-/161130395784?pt=AU_Home_Outdoor_Lighting&hash=item25841eb888&_uhb=1

Be careful, too much light on the beach will scare away the fish. Also, everytime you turn on a white light it ruins your night vision.

I use a very basic headlamp that uses two red LEDs or three white ones. For most fishing applications like rebaiting, tieing knots, unhooking fish, etc. the red light is more than ample and doesn't affect my vision when I shut it off. If I need more light, especially away from the water, like walking off the beach, I use the white light.

I see so many people on the beach with their area lit up like a city, and they wonder why they're not catching any fish.

Agree with Plankton, i dont mind sitting in the dark. Although i thought light could attract baitfish in too?

Certianly want one you can dial the light output right down so its not too detrimental to your night vision.

Red light is great. The only one i use is a spotlight for other outdoor pursuits so proabbly not what youre after but its an actual red light LED not white with a filter.

I just use a headtorch on low power for baiting, rigging ect and then sit in the dark. Usually falling asleep.

A red LED area light would be ideal. Just the issue of finding one thats any good with a market saturated with imported s**t.

Also, blood looks awesome under a red light, comes out black as!

I gotta say I don't see the issue with it "ruining" your "night vision".  It takes your eyes all of a couple of minutes or so to adjust to lower light conditions...plus if you are sitting on a jetty which doesn't have lights on the end (like Henley or Grange) then having the area lit up the whole time is a great. 

Agree with Plankton, i dont mind sitting in the dark. Although i thought light could attract baitfish in too?

Light does attract baitfish and predatory fish take advantage of artificially lit areas because they know there will be baitfish there. Fishing around bridges and jetties can be great as larger predatory fish hide in the shadows and ambush the baitfish congregating under the light. The problem comes when you accidently light up an area where predators aren't expecting it and you scare them away.

I gotta say I don't see the issue with it "ruining" your "night vision".  It takes your eyes all of a couple of minutes or so to adjust to lower light conditions...plus if you are sitting on a jetty which doesn't have lights on the end (like Henley or Grange) then having the area lit up the whole time is a great. 

I've found that you can actually see a great deal at night without the aid of any light, and if light is needed then a low red light is usually sufficient. If you do use a bright white light then it can take several minutes to develop decent vision again, and if you need to do something in that time then you have to turn the light on again. The more unexpected light you introduce the greater chance you will spook fish and put them off the bite. So why take the chance when you don't really need to?

Just my experience, other people can do whatever they like, but please don't come fish near me and shine a bunch of unneccesary light on the water.

For the head torch I use one of these, its a cheap rechargeable headlight bright enough for anything you need doesn't cost you anything in batteries and at 15 dollars a pop doesn't matter if you lose one or it breaks, I've had mine for about 2 years now and hasn't been faulty or anything.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rechargable-Led-head-lamp-15-led-bulb-/300648533769?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item46000c8f09&_uhb=1

As far as if you want light the entire night buy yourself a rechargeable lantern or a camping lantern, to stop it from scaring the fish off place your lantern against a bag or a bucket to stop the globe from shining directly on the water only having it face back towards the shore provides enough light behind your gear for you to see and when you go infront just switch the headlamp on with it facing towards the ground.

Avoid lights shining directly on the water as it will scare the fish, a bit of light coming from the shore as mentioned with having the lantern behind something so it doesn't shine directly doesn't bother them. its true about lights attracting baitfish and squid but a constantly moving light or one that flashes on and off will tend to scare them more then attract them.

if you want a light for seeing if you get a bite or not your best bet would be either of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-rod-tip-clip-on-strobe-light-smart-fish-bite-alert-/290633135778?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item43ab15b6a2&_uhb=1
These are clip on lights that can attach to pretty much every rod, its able to tell between the pulling actions of waves or wind and proper bites quite well. Flashes green intermittently when everything is normal and flashes red quite fast when you get a bite to attract your attention. I've had a set for well over a year as well and left them on the rod overnight by accident and still haven't had to change the batteries on them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-10-X-LED-Light-Twin-Bells-Clip-On-Night-Fishing-Rod-Bite-Alarm-/160966798206?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item257a5e6b7e&_uhb=1

This is the other end of the scale which is just a clip on bell which sounds as the rod moves, would be good with the water was calm and little wind but would provide a much clearer indication of a bite if you weren't actively watching your rod (I.e sending a text or having a drink)
I personally use both but find I much prefer the first bite indicator as it provides a better indication of whether or not its a bite or just wind/tide drag