G'day guys, just wondering if any one has built their own rod from a rod building kit.

I'd like to give it a shot, preferably a rod for flicking lures for sambos or a surf rod for mulloway.

If any one could give me some good brands to try, tips on how to do it and what I'll need. Also is it something that requires more patience than the average joe or fairly straight forward.

Thanks in advance

Its getting harder and more expensive to get into rod building these days. Not long ago all tackle stores had a rod building section and it was easy to pick up blanks and supplies. These days off the self is almost the same price as building up a rod.

I've built a few and am about to start on a Samurai NV8 with SIC guides for my father inlaw.

A good start is to practice replacing and binding broken guides first. You can do it by hand but it is easier with some sort of roller. I got most of my gear from Rodworks or MOtackle. 

Samurai do rod kits and guide sets, but they are not cheap if you are only starting out.

Otherwise buying overseas (mudhole) is cheaper but you need to factor in postage and know exactly what you want.  Kilwel also do build your own rod kits that are much cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my NV 8 blank and components separately and managed to get my SIC guides, grips, and reel seat for just over $100. Went with straight thick foam grips and a Fuji reel seat. Rod is for my father-in-law and will mainly be user for deepwater snapper with 20lb to 30lb and a big chunk of lead. Trimmed the tip and a bit off the butt to shorten the rod and change the action a bit. Blank came in at under 100g. Went with single foot guides at keep the weight down and with a Forhan locking wrap and a bit extra overbinding the single foot guides should be fine. Black thread on black as is my preferred style. Hand rolled in front of the TV and didn't take too long.

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

I set up the guides similar to the Fuji new guide concept, transitioning down quickly from a size 30 stripper to size 16 then 10, several 7s and 8 tip. 7 guides + tip on a short rod to reduce friction as it bends a fair bit with heavy load. A bit unconventional but feels good and balances fine with my father-in-laws Penn slammer live liner 560 and 20lb braid. Total build came in at 220g.

Can't wait to give it a test cast.

IMG_0414.JPG