New Sensor Surf rods

Looks like Daiwa has upgraded the Sensor Surf series, and they're finally offering a model that looks like it will handle a 6oz sinker and big bait. They're also now offering a whopping two overhead models. :rolleyes:

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/sensor-surf-izm/

Unfortunately for me, the new heavy rod is not one of the overhead models, but it could become popular with the threadline crew, provided it's not insanely stiff. A bit long for my liking too at 15'. :P

The two overhead models are puzzling, one being an 8'6" and fairly lightweight, the other 11'6" and a bit heavier. Reading the little company blurbs on each rod sounds like they're targeted at the East Coast market, no big surprise. Not sure what I'd use them for down here. :huh:

A step in the right direction Daiwa, but why can't you offer us some of the great rods you sell in the US and UK? And just like over there sell most rods in both a threadline and overhead version? :unsure:

Yes I agree, I don't like fishing for mullies with a rod that is really stiff in the tip.

I had an older 11'4" Sensor overhead that I found to be too light to handle 6oz and a decent bait, so I sold it. Don't have any experience with the threadline versions.

I do still own another, lighter 11'4" overhead Sensor that is an awesome rod. Strangely it was the first model they stopped making.

I guess my point was that the models of Sensor Surfs Daiwa are offering don't seem to be all that useful. Usually when people opt for overhead rods in the surf they're using them on heavier outfits, so I don't understand why the only overhead options they're offering are relatively lightweight rods.

I wish they would make some of the UK style rods available to us here. They are made to throw the sorts of weight you need on our higher energy surf beaches, but have nice soft tips that show bites really well and provide good fun on smaller fish but can still handle the big ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Plankton,

I had a play on the weekend with this:

http://www.bigcatch.co.za/shop/blue-marlin/rod-bm-bronzie-t53-13-8ft/

I was practicing over grass with 9oz and the thing hardly even bent :-) The UK rods are certainly nice (think Rolls Royce) but the South Africans have a good range of great casting rods at decent prices. Freight does add to the cost but as far as heavy or long distance rods go, we are pretty limited here in Australia. South African rods such as Kingfisher and Blue Marlin are good value for money.

Regards,

SB

I just took the opportunity to measure up mine :-)

I fish low mount, but temporarily mounted a reel 900mm up from the butt. The first guide is 1750 mm up from the butt, or 850mm from the nominal "up reel" reel position. The stripper guide is 20mm which would be fine for multipliers but fixed spool would require some mods. If you were really fussy you could change the stripper guide for the next size up, but there is no real need to do it. You could even use the same coasters as I have in the pics but just strip back the top few inches of foam grip and cover the exposed blank with heat shrink. There would be no real reason to get rid of the original low mount reel seat, you could keep it in case you ever came over to the Dark Side :-)

Hi Plankton,

I had a play on the weekend with this:

http://www.bigcatch.co.za/shop/blue-marlin/rod-bm-bronzie-t53-13-8ft/

I was practicing over grass with 9oz and the thing hardly even bent :-) The UK rods are certainly nice (think Rolls Royce) but the South Africans have a good range of great casting rods at decent prices. Freight does add to the cost but as far as heavy or long distance rods go, we are pretty limited here in Australia. South African rods such as Kingfisher and Blue Marlin are good value for money.

Regards,

SB