First fish on Fly!!!

Harry and I were originally targeting bream, had a few follows and hits. No hookups though, but as I was retrieving the fly over a school of reasonably sized bream under structure, a salmon trout came up from the deep and smashed the fly! It fought so well on the fly gear.  :o It measured in at 23cm, persistence pays ;) 

PB280110.jpg

After it was released, we moved off to a new spot, where we spotted a school of big jumping mullet! They were just sitting around the pylons so I decided to cast right in front of them, they didn't react. After a couple more casts, I snagged one on the fly and it went off like a bullet!  :lol: I dead lifted it up onto the wharf and it measured in a 34cm. Wasn't as big as I thought but it was defiantly a solid mullet.  

PB290127.jpg

To finish the day, we decided to do some bait fishing for bream, we bought 2 loafs of white bread and fished for 1hr before we left. We landed a few bream from 20cm to 29cm, including a double hookup! After I left, Harry stayed a bit longer, he landed 8 more bream and the 2 biggest being over 34cm. I was spewing! If only I stayed a bit longer. :( Lol

PB290124.jpg

All together, it was an alright day, we were expecting a few bream on lures and fly but I can't complain with my first fish on fly! :) 

Another top notch report mate.

I see you are getting the hours up in the Pat, have to admit it is a nice place to fish.

Planning another Pat sesh soon, though I am thinking of trying at night, especially a nice warm summer night.

Congrats on getting your first on fly, hope you get many more.

Another top notch report mate.

I see you are getting the hours up in the Pat, have to admit it is a nice place to fish.

Planning another Pat sesh soon, though I am thinking of trying at night, especially a nice warm summer night.

Congrats on getting your first on fly, hope you get many more.

Thanks heaps Tinker, night fishing there would be amazing, I spoke to a bloke who's a local around there, he said he's seen mullies and squid there when the gates are open on warm nights. Out at the Marina, a couple of mates said they saw snook and tommies cruising around at sunset. I might even give it a shot! :D

I will be focusing on the big blue lip breambos that I have seen cruising in there.

Also heard about big mullies occasionally getting through the gates, and a school of salmon cruising around.

The structure in that place is phenomenal, and most of it is within casting distance of the shore.

Only problem I had there is getting distracted by all the cute chicks walking by....My Bad.

Hopefully night sessions on the Pat help me keep my attention on my fishing.

I will be focusing on the big blue lip breambos that I have seen cruising in there.

Also heard about big mullies occasionally getting through the gates, and a school of salmon cruising around.

The structure in that place is phenomenal, and most of it is within casting distance of the shore.

Only problem I had there is getting distracted by all the cute chicks walking by....My Bad.

Hopefully night sessions on the Pat help me keep my attention on my fishing.

aha I agree ;) 

Harry and I did find this one spot, where we actually couldn't believe our eyes!!! It wasn't in the river system but it was close. THERE WAS A SCHOOL OF 45CM+ BREAM AROUND A SET OF PYLONS, SOME EVEN PUSHING 50CM! At first we thought they were big jumping mullet, but I could recognize the shape and how they moved, they were certainly the biggest bream I've seen. They even sniffed my fly :o 

I had a look around the Pat for the first time on Sunday, great new spot for me to try.  A local said that the water at the flood gates is 3.5m deep.  Mulloway would definitely be there, waiting for a softplastic to flutter down...

Nice report, I'll be there next Sunday.

Heaps good MiSCrEANT! Good luck ;) 

Well done mate! Not too many forms of the sport you haven't had luck with ;) you should try some shrimp patterns sometime! Might persuade a yellowfin or two! Good all rounder for flatties, bream, and pretty much everything we get here! Keep it up mate! ;)

Aha thanks Brankim, I did have a shimp lure but it snapped on the whiplash :( Couldn't find it haha.