• 2 weeks later...

Im looking to try snapper off brighton jetty, using a 8' JW comet rated 4-8kg with a cast weight of 20-56g on 20lb mono. This be enough or am I dreaming?

Possible. However conditions when the snaps are in close (your hardest task) can frequently call for 3-4oz leads.........or more.

I know of a bloke using 6oz breakaways in the rough stuff, metro :wacko:.

So if you're sticking to conditions that work within your rod's capabilities, give it a crack, you will need to suss out your 'landing strategy' tho.

My guess is they have become pretty sparse lately but they can come in close all year round.

Im looking to try snapper off brighton jetty, using a 8' JW comet rated 4-8kg with a cast weight of 20-56g on 20lb mono. This be enough or am I dreaming?

Have you seen snapper caught there recently?

Metro landbased I like a 12 foot or longer rod that can throw at least 3 or 4oz matched with a longcast threadline. I use 20lb braid. Often you will need a cast of 60m to 80m, sometimes into a headwind to get the bite, especially if it is starting to clear. Using bigger baits will also require a bit more lead to get them out the distance. I land most of my jetty snapper with a crab net.