New Cod Closure

Hi All,Just had this sent through by Spotter @ Wallaroo

G’day AllI have just received a fax outlining the new closure for Murray Cod in SAThe SA Government in their infinite wisdom have just continued the closedseason for Murray cod fishing until 31/12/09, yes that’s correct, until theend of December 2009.Their reasons are that due to the drought and MURRAY COD ARE DEPENDEANT ONFLOWS FOR BREEDING a yearlong closer will come into place. Taking intoaccount that the season has already been closed for 5 months that will be a17 month closure, and I will bet my last dollar that it will stay in placefor many a year to come. The fax I received states that Murray cod are dependent on flows to breed,the advice I was just given by NSW fisheries is that is not correct, whichexplains why cod are breed in farm dams for stocking.The Minister for everything plus fisheries in SA has in my humble opinionlost the plot or has been very much influenced by those wanting fishingbanned.The consequences will be far reaching, the tackle shop in SA that is relianton the anglers for his survival will now be looking at putting of staff, notto mention all the people along the river that depend on the anglers fromall over Australia that come and stay, shop, sleep and spend $ in the smalltowns along the river, and yes to catch and in almost all cases release thecod caught.All this decision will do is force a lot of businesses to the brink and formany anglers to break the law to fish, as who is going to determine if youare fishing for cod or callop (yellow Belly). Many, many, cod are taken oncallop sized lures and many, callop are taken on cod lures.Who will be the judge on which lure is for what.I believe this decision is ill-informed and made with no crediblescientific evidence to justify a closure of this nature.A very simple solution would have been to ban the TAKING of ALL MURRAY CODfor one year, and considering that cod will only breed during their breedingcycle why close or stop fishing for Murray Cod for the whole year. WHAT WILLIT ACHEIVE????????????????????????????????????For more information www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing