Snapper heads as crab bait

just curious guys and gals i heard a rumour (old wives tale maybe) that you cant catch crabs on snapper heads as they are scared off by there predeter status. i used some old snapper heads left from a charter recently witch i proceded to use as crab bait on last outing (waist nothing of a catch)the crabs didnt seem to like it as muck as some of other bait being used until it had been deformed a bit anyway ;) .so no real question here just wondering if anyone had heard of this before.or stories like it.

was fishing/crabbing with a mate on Monday, he had a snapper head, cut in half, through the head. not across it, wired it in face down so the crab couldnt see its shape, results, no crabs, I think its a true wives tale, I told him he wouldnt catch a crab using it , but he said he had caught crabs from the same spot before, quite a few of them.... the spot was the viewing platform at Outer Harbor, has anyone else caught a crab from there?

• 2 weeks later...

Snapper heads make a beautiful mournay. Just boil them up, pressure cooker is best, and simmer and gently stir until all the meat falls off the bone. Fish all the bones and skin out and any scales that got away and strain off excess water. Leave about three or four centimetres of liquid in bottom of pot and simmer some more with any herbs or spices that you want to add. Much too delishious to feed to crabs.RogerG

• 4 weeks later...

never tried them obviously better baits around but the old wives tale doesnt ring true for me crabs are pretty tough customers watched abluey in the net once and a 4foot bronzie came in for a feed and i thought goodbye crab but he stood his ground and attacked the shark and the shark was out of there ok it was clear water but shows you there tenacity cheers rod