abu 6500 c3 ct mag elite

Guest big lizard

;D Crocka if you can get your hands on an old Promax 6600 off the net you'd be on a winner, i have one it's slightly thrashed but they cast a country mile, i'd never part with it... I also have a black max which i have recently purchased it's a 6600 wide spool the last promax i seen went for $65 8)....If your not in a hurry i will see if i can dig one up..... Here are mine ;)size=512http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/z8wOATXH__Promax.jpg[/img] size=512http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/VIk1Dl9j__Blackmax.jpg[/img]

Ya not wrong, obviously ure the only knowledgeable one on the subject ;D ile be in contact bout those bearings champ ;)

Damos just jumped on board,he knows a bit about them,yeah no worries mate,if you do get one no probs with help on the bearings and oils,that baby will really sing.Cheers

I hear what ya saying finatic and appreciate the input...... i have 2 7000's and they have never missed a beat, although they are older models made in sweden and about 7 years old and well looked after. The reel in question as far as i kno is still made in sweden. I kno they are popular with comp casters??. Sorry did u have another reel in mind finatic?

Hi CrockaThe ABU C3CT Mag Elites are one of the best casting overheads straight from the box.The CT frame has no level wind allowing you to place you thumb right over the spool to get a really good grip and hold the spool while applying the casting power.These ABU models are not available in Oz and need to be imported from England for around 100 pounds plus 20 pounds freight (approx $280-AUD). Try eBay UK for new and second hand but be careful as the prices are often inflated.Most distance casters use an ABU 5500, 6500 or 6600 as a base and then pimp them with ceramic bearings, special oils, heavy duty cir-clips, stainless steel gears, solid aluminium one piece lowered frames, magnetic breaks that can be adjusted on the fly, etc...The aim is to tune the reel so that you never thumb during flight and therefore lose distance.Here is a slow motion video taken by a rod mounted camera by some distance casters from Victoria.At the 2:54 minute mark you can see how the CT frame allows the spool to be gripped and then how the spool is not thumbed until the sinker hits.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFEZzPQxEQBig Lizard, The black reel in the video is a heavily modified BlackMax 6600W that you have and is a superb reel.Cal,The mag controlled reels are a joy to cast and fish and have attached a pic of the reels I have modified with custom mag units, drag system, bearings, gearing, etc… since we last met.Left Hand Side top to bottom:6500 Mag Elite6600W5500 Mag Elite5500 Chrome RocketRight Hand Side top to bottomAvet MXL Penn 5256500 Chrome Rocket5500 Finatic,I agree that the quality of the ABUs has decreased in recent years and we basically replace a good proportion of the parts that usually fail when power casting and pulling fish with heavy duty custom made bits.The Mag Elites are still made in Sweden and the quality is OK though not as good as earlier ones. The 7000 and above models are now made in Asia and all my large ABUs are old models.If anyone is interested in trying out the ABUs send me a PM and we can arrange a meet.CheersEddie size=448http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/QZYq3Fhk__EMS_PIMPED.JPG[/img]

Hi GlennThe reel you cast was the Green 5500 Elite (third reel on the left hand side) but it had the standard CT frame that is now on the Red 5500 (forth reel on the right hand side).Have added a custom lowered frame to the Green 5500 you cast as it gives a better grip and doesn’t bend and twist like the standard frame when going for max distance.I got the 525 for a great price from TwoDogs as he couldn’t come to grips with it.It’s has the slide mag adjuster rather than the knob and is now my go to reel for chucking baits at salmon.Not quite as good as the ABUs to cast but superior drag, gearing and line capacity. I didn’t need to modify anything apart from the oil viscosity and a additional magnet for extra breaking when casting into a strong wind.It’s a great fishing reel.The pimped ABUs still kick butt when tossing lures out beyond the surfers.The Avet MXL was a pig to cast straight from the box.Added a custom mag unit and it out casts my old ABU 10000s by 50 meters and has awesome pulling power.Go to surf reel for the heavies. We are going to have to organise a fish at that spot we compared notes.CheersEddie

Guest big lizard

Wow great stuff there Eddie, now i want to pimp my Abu's how can i organize it and rough cost? Just PM me mate... The promax needs some attention that's for sure but it still casts well, i got a guy i wont mention to service it god knows why i let him touch it? it's no where near as good as it used to be, he has greased it instead of oil and every one knows that oil is the key with abu's...Cheers Damo

Damo,Having trouble with PM so sent an eMail to Cal with Reel Pimping details and asked him to forward onto you.Not sure whether it was delivered so let me know whether Cal sends it on.Crocka,The knob on the side of the reel controls how close the magnet(s) are to the spool and therefore the level of breaking.At the start of the cast the magnets are only a mm or two away from the spool and provide maximum breaking to prevent an initial overrun.As the cast is under way the line level on the spool drops and therefore less line is being delivered per revolution.The knob moves the magnets away from the spool decreasing the breaking and therefore allowing the spool to spin progressively faster.The idea is to control the reel to provide line at the same rate the sinker is travelling.- If line is being provided too fast then overrun.- If line is being provided too slowly then the sinker is pulling and loses distance.The knob also gives you something to fiddle with while waiting the sinker to hit.CheersEddie

its great to see the old abu brigade is not dead.many years ago owned quite a few abu's myself (even a abu 20 game reel, weighed a ton)still got a couple in the reel draw nothing like eddies casting specials, but good'ans all the same.my first abu 6500 was purchased in england for me when i was 17, still got it 36 years later& still like new. pity abu went to asia, spoilt the 7000. i went out & purposely purchased one of the last swedish models, 3 years old & not been used. i'm just a tackle junkie. even now i do breamin torno's still can't bring myself to sell the last 6.