Carp On Fly, yeah no worries.

hey all here is a fly post someting other that a 'westlakes last weekend' post.been trying to nut out the carp on the fly rod for a while now, and have caught 3 in the past two days, and lost a few and missed plenty.the key is you have to be able to spot them cruising. then you need to be able to cast (properly and accuratley) as carp are spookier than trout.once you have your target cast about 1m DIRECTLY in the path that he is traveling and present it very gently so that it sinks slowly and by the time the cruising fish reaches it, the fly is on his nose, then they take it deep, strike and your on for a goot 5mins or more on a trout 3#as i said they spook very easily if it lands on the fish or slightly to the side or for that matter anywhere except directly infront they will spook. but when you master all the above its easy as. today i went and made 3 casts and landed a 3kg carp just waited for the right cruising carp and avoided flogging the water too much. un weighted black wooly buggers work well, nothing that sinks too fast.good luckPosted ImagePosted Imagethis fly works tooPosted Image

Nice one johnwalkley! Would have been fun on the light gear!Planning a session myself on the carp with another member in the next 2 weeks... Hoping for some luck on some bread fly's I picked up on the net, but do have a black wooly 'thing' in the fly tin, just in case. :icon_e_surprised:Nice horizon... I know that spot :P

Not being much a of a flyfisherman these days... err... or even those days, I can appreciate the thrill of getting one. I went through exactly the same process to land this one and used a similar fly, so there might be something in that mate.Not as big as yours, but still a buzz! ;DHope you don't mind me butting in size=512http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/WJrUID8j__Carp.jpg[/img] size=265http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/TbYzDoif__thefly.jpg[/img]

Well, I went for a bike ride along the Torrens last week and paid attention to a couple of likely looking spots.. (no rod)My brother told me he saw some monsters near his place, and he was right :oSaw three monsters within a minute just cruising one stretch, so with that in mind, plus john and Gaffer's recommendations for flies, I whipped these up today..See how they go soon.tied on Mustad 34007 #6gone for a dark (black)mid (brown)lighter (olive)Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Can't tell if you have used cock or hen hackles Tonka on your flies, but if they don't sink through the surface film, a good tip is to roll the flies in your fingers with a bit of damp mud and this is also good for the end few inches of your tippet if your leader has been silicone greased to float :fishing:I see John has used tap chain eyes on his fly which of course helps to break the surface tension too :fishing:Cheers, tonyb.

Thanks for the tips fellas on getting them through the surface film, top idea. ;)I still haven't got out there yet, and a guy I know tried bait-fishing the other week there for '0' and said that spot looked quiet. The hackle feathers are stinger cock necks from india I picked up ages ago at a clearance sale, (fly-gear less than cost), so I figured they might come in handy one day. (4 colours)So far all my flies have been tied for salt fishing, so I gather the hen and cock feathers may have different properties and uses in fresh water ?? Time for some more reading :PI'll be packing the fly rod in the car next time I visit the brother and his family. ;D

The hackle feathers are stinger cock necks from india I picked up ages ago at a clearance sale, (fly-gear less than cost), so I figured they might come in handy one day. (4 colours)So far all my flies have been tied for salt fishing, so I gather the hen and cock feathers may have different properties and uses in fresh water ??

Yes Tonka, that's why I commented as the stiffer, shiny, cock hackles are normally used for dry flies as a kinda collar behind the hook eye and tied with the tips pointing to the head, and a tail made of the same stiff hackle to keep it all high on the surface film :fishing:The softer hen hackles are used for wet fly's and tied pointing back towards the tail for cleaner entry and they also "flirt" in the water with the rod action and give the fly some lifelike action :fishing:Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted mate, but there may be others on the forum might be interested in Hackles as well ;) :fishing:Cheers, tonyb.PS if you want to part with any of those Cock hackles I'd be very interested, trade for a bit of bucktail, fox, etc.?

Cheers tonyb for the info..That sums it up nicey.All my flies so far have been for the salt (bream mainly), and all synthetics and epoxy. Those couple I whipped up after the success with the carp johnwalkley had the other week.. (more stuff from the sell-out)Hoping to nail at least one tomorrow with that method.Fingers crossed..

Well what a difference 2 weeks can make to an area.I must have walked a couple km's up and back down the Torrens and didn't spot one fish today :-\The water looked almost black, even with the flow.2 weeks ago it was heaps clearer, and one pond I counted close to 30 fish cruising up and down within a minute or two.A couple of brutes as well ;)Today, zilch..The flies are in the box, and I'll be getting updates from my brother.I do want to give the carp a go sight-fishing, sounds like fun.

I was sight fishing in a small pond that joins the main lake at Mawson Lakes. Lost one fish when my knot came undone and landed another about 30cms long on a little pink nymph. When I get some more batteries for my camera I will post a picture of the fly.PS. Tonka, when you see the carp feeding put the fly about a 30cms in front of the fish. If they are cruising mid water it might pay to try suspending the wet fly under a large dry fly.Cheers, Dave.