which braid for Sedona 8000FB

hi guys, I have just bought a new sedona reel and was thinking of trying braid instead of hybrid line.. I have never used braid before and wouldnt have a clue where to start.. currently i am using 8lb yo zuri hybrid.. What would be equivalent to that in braid? I will be mainly catching ruggers, salmon, squid and whiting.. any suggestions would be much appreciated 8)

You will still use an 8lb braid, but being much thinner you will get much more onto the spool, so rather than use a heap of line, you will put a monofilament backing on first and use the braid as a top shot. The tacklestore can spool it up for you if that helps.Otherwise you can get a much greater line capacity with braid by getting the tacklestore to fill your spool with "bulk braid" which they should have in 1000m spools. You only pay for what you use off the spool. For the species you listed, you wont need this added capacity though.Choice of braid is personal preference, also talk to the tacklestore and consider your budget.Braid slips much more than mono too, so you may have to use different knots to get decent holding power, and always tie a florocarbon leader on the end, as braid has virtually no stretch. You will need this leader to provide a little stretch or you will pull hooks.The braid will cast further and you will feel a lot more bites, but you will have to get used to setting hooks with it, and it will make noise going through the guides on your rod.

Coz braid is so thin, on a reel where you would normally get let's say 150m of mono, by using braid you might get 300m on the spool.This can work out expensive, and much of that braid may never leave the spool when you are onto a fish, so to cut down on expense you can half fill the spool with mono (as a backing to start filling the spool) then tie the braid onto this and continue to fill the spool completely with the braid.It's only the braid then which gets used, but underneath it is a lot of cheap monofilament which is just used to fill the spool and keep the braid up near the lip of the spool so that it casts well by having a full spool.

so you could still fill the spool with only braid and add a mono trace if you wanted?

YES, but you either put a small amount of mono on first (just a few metres), so that the braid doesn't slip on the spool, or you wrap some tape around the spool first, so that the braid has something to bite down into, preventing it from slipping, as braid directly onto the spool will slip.

do you guys think 8lb will be strong enough for ruggers??

that's why you have a drag on the reel. Set the drag less than the breaking strain of the line so that if the tension gets too much, line starts to peel off instead of the line breaking. The general rule of thumb is to set the drag to 1/3rd the breaking strain of the line, but I like to crank mine up a bit more than that!Then you know that you have 300m of line the fish can take and tire itself out on, before you run out of line and the fish wins that round! ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting 300yds or 8lb fireline, and spiderwire, should be in the post today.. anyone used these??

The fireline should be perfect for it and it's not too expensive. It does get a little fluffy after about a years hard work but it doesn't cost much to replace. I get the 125yd spools for bream, school mulloway, salmon, snook etc.. usually in the 4-6lb range with some cheap line for backing. When it's really windy i do get some wind knots but apart from that can't complain.

Fireline would not be my first choice, as it's not a true braid, it's a gelspun line.Because of this it's courser and more wiry than the soft and supple braids available.Fireline also tends to lose it's colour quickly, and it fluffs up after awhile, although this fluffyness does not reduce it's strength.Having said this though, if you are new to braid, Fireline is a damn good starting point, as it's much cheaper than other braids and it does it's job quite well.We have ALL used Fireline in the past, and I dare say you will be the same. You'll start with Fireline now, and in time you'll compare different lines and end up going with something else.I'm currently on a Sunline "Castaway" kick! It's a beautiful soft and supple line which casts a mile, but it's also pretty expensive stuff by comparison.

I love the fireline in the 4-6lb but am not a real fan of it in the heavier classes because i have had it become unfused near the knots,I wouldn't mind giving that Sunline a go because on BM people are raving about it....where did you get it Ranger??? because i haven't seen it around. cheers brenton

I've never used Firewire so can't comment, I normally use Daiwa Tournament but I've just spooled up my new reel with Linesystem Basshard PE Braid, a nice fine braid with a good feel, hopefully it'll perform well.Mike