I,ve been fooling around with the poppers on bream in the last couple of weeks because my other H/Bs aren't working for me atm. ???But i,ve got a couple of questions on their use,i don't have any problems pulling fish on them and they are pretty good fun but i,m yet to catch 1 over 25cm....is this a pattern on the poppers or can you pull good fish on them??2nd question is how come all of the fish i catch on them come within 20ft of where i,m standing even though the cast might land next to or over shallow structure 30 metres away???...Just wondering?? cheers brenton

Brenton in relation to the first part of your query regarding the smaller sizes your pulling, mate just give it time like everything else. I have found that the younger (smaller) ones are a lot more prone to attack the lures than the larger ones. Might come down to a bit of smarts on the old buggers side ::) Like they say.. they don't grow old for no reason !! In regards to the distance side of things... the first ones I had hitting poppers followed it over 10 mtrs away from the structure where they were holding. One day behind old noarlunga I had one sit a foot behind the popper from the structure to the bank where it finally hit it at my feet as I was taking it out of the water virtually.

Hey, Jags,Not sure and apologies if wrong, but I fancy Brenton is talking about the HB's with a concave curved head which grabs the water and shoots little sprays/jets forward, while your "Pencil"darts from side to side like a wayward torpedo but both of them on the surface :icon_e_ugeek:Both methods exciting and spectacular and surprisingly effective :P Reddy's in the better sizes hit them well, but tend to be in one size bracket, ie that particular generation/shoal. Cheers, tonyb.

Heya guys,Yeah only talking about the real "poppers" here not pencils.I have had a bit of luck with larger poppers up north in various pelagics, awesome way of fishing when it works.Tony, I only have the one pencil on your advice mainly for Rainbows after seeing your post about your mate at that particular dam, speaking of might evenhead up there this weekend. :fishing:

Just to let you Popper Fishers know .I tried out some very tiny Foam Popper Fliesthis morning.And yes I understand it was a dodge tide.Firstly they Floated hooray (thanks to Morsies Foam)Secondly during a dodge tide mainly only the inch long mini me Bream attacked them.Did get a few jumps at them from the odd bigger fish .And as a measure of the Dodge tide the main fish attacks occurred after the dragon boats had past.By this I mean the water was moving like in a strong wind .then the larger ones went off slightly very slightly.So does anyone else find Poppers(whether flies or Lures) work better or get more attention on windy days.And anyone landed any mullies on Poppers (I have hooked a couple of small ones on gurglers).I only ask as I had a user stuff up cough cough while one of Rangers radioactive mullet (mini mullie) was swimming with some small bream .cheersFingers crossed for a better day tomorrow.