Is it a Fly? or S/P?..

Got these 35mm s/p tails off a guy at work a while back, and thought they may come in handy in the future.Well, with all the carp action lately on little black furry things, and furry things with red tails, I stuck these on a #6 Mustad tonight, and hoping to get out and have a bash at some carp over the weekend just for some reel-screaming action.. :PWill post any results..

Posted Image

Its tough keeping traditional sp on the hookU really need to super glue them in place. Otherwise the casting action pushes them off the hook. Looks like u have bound them on pretty well but.. might be ok.If the rubber comes even close to splitting its all over. There is a range of "jelly" patterns of tougher plastic material available for fly fishing. Not as life like though. As the boys have already mentioned in previous threads carp fishing is less about fly selection and more about putting it on their nose without spooking them. Traditional dries and wets will all score fish if your presentation is on song. My two cents :fishing:

Cheers guys..I was hoping to give them a bash on carp saturday, but didn't spot one in town walking both sides of the torrens and using polaroids.Strange, must have been deeper?and pretty sad if you can't catch a carp! ;D I did lay down a thread on the hook shank, then soaked that in superglue before pushing the tail on..Then just bound the front and sealed it.Just something different with what I have on hand.

• 3 months later...
Highfly wrote:

Its tough keeping traditional sp on the hookU really need to super glue them in place. Otherwise the casting action pushes them off the hook. Looks like u have bound them on pretty well but.. might be ok.If the rubber comes even close to splitting its all over. There is a range of "jelly" patterns of tougher plastic material available for fly fishing. Not as life like though.

Have any of you guys caught up with the "Snapback" range of SP's yet? I just had to own some when the tackle shop sales guy demonstrated them by stretching a 40mm wriggler to about 500mm, then letting it snap back to exactly it's original shape :ohmy: There are a huge range of lengths, colours and patterns and I guess if they could be super glued to a well threaded hook shank, they might just turn the trick ;)