Foam popper quest

After reading of Brentons Popper or Lure quest . I to started my own quest to get a large fish on the surface.Now in the past I had posted pictures of my failed attempts to tie a popper.The to large dissolved in water flies :thumb:What I may not have posted when I downsized I encountered other problems .such as getting the foam to close to the hook point .Or backcasting into bench seats lights trees etc.So today I took my first baby steps with a properly tied FOAM POPPER on a number 16 trout hook(they were free).with the odd jump from behind and swirls .I had no success with the purple tailed one I used .Switched to a pink tailed one mini me Bream were going mad .Started to sight fish and cast at Snook and Garfish schools and caught this tiny Bream so 3 1/4 hours after I started today (many hours in the last few weeks).first step up the ladder to a larger Fish.Posted ImageAnd the blurry fly in the fish mouth picturePosted Image

You're on the board mickyj, good stuff!I've also been giving the surface lures a good think after talks at work. Seems sometimes thats all it takes to stir the bream into action down the lakes when all else seems to fail, or the fish are nowhere to be seen.The lure guys have been having a bit of fun lately on surface poppers and bream, so a surface fly should get the same attention.Keep the results coming.. ;)

You're on the board mickyj, good stuff!I've also been giving the surface lures a good think after talks at work. Seems sometimes thats all it takes to stir the bream into action down the lakes when all else seems to fail, or the fish are nowhere to be seen.The lure guys have been having a bit of fun lately on surface poppers and bream, so a surface fly should get the same attention.Keep the results coming.. ;)

The biggest clue to using a surface fly or in my case a popper fly is the surface of the water.When its dead calm nothing get some wind waves etc then they wake up.And I didnt get that little fella on a dead still fly .I was moving it in an attempt to tempt the snook .But a fish is a fish .and its better cause i tied the fly.

all my 30-40 bream days on the surtface flys have all been on flat calm, with a but of ruffle ill be lucky to get 25 bream. my 2c

MMM interesting .Was that Wading/walking or in your Yak.I have a feeling you guys clean up in yaks and boats which is a good thing.then again 25 fish is not a bad day either JW.Honesty I tend to get more Bream jumping behind my popper flies on windy days (not sure with the gurgler havent fished with it as much).And today was not going to be a fish day .Until I started chasing the Snook/Garfish schools .that tiny bream fell to a moving fly not the stationary fly .which I have read is the best way to catch bream on a popper.All I know is what I have found when I have been out flicking .And of course that day JW when u suggested I go smaller .Size 6 was getting a bit large or rather the flies I was making were getting to big.Cause Foam certainly casts a lot easier :icon_lol:CheersPSOf course whenever I advise anyone the lake proves me wrong but who knows .

@Mickyj, With a surface lure i jig and move it quite quick to imitate a prawn on the surface, then when i see swirls from a fish i stop moving it quick and just shake the rod tip softly so the lure makes lots of ripples on the surface while reeling slowly to feel the hit and weight of the fish ;).... Am gonna try soon with my fly rod ;)Sambo

@Mickyj, With a surface lure i jig and move it quite quick to imitate a prawn on the surface, then when i see swirls from a fish i stop moving it quick and just shake the rod tip softly so the lure makes lots of ripples on the surface while reeling slowly to feel the hit and weight of the fish ;).... Am gonna try soon with my fly rod ;)Sambo

From what I have been reading the bream grab a popper thats not moving.The small Bream above grabbed the small popper I tied while it was moving,trying to entice a snook .And I know about the ripples seen some big ones behind the odd fly .Would enjoy seeing more guys casting a fly at the lake.Besides myself and the yak patrol ;DCheers

hi ive never flyfished but had a look at that popper link I recon you could use disposable earplugs. I think you should get them at bunnings or try a safety gear shop you can get them in heaps of different colours good luck

I have read about earpluggs on fly forums they dont seem to work very wellBunnings and mitre 10 sell Foam for 40 odd cents a metre just right for popper fliesAnd spotlight sell different coloured sticks in packs

Took me ages to catch and land something this morning.Fish weren't interested .Then I had a school of something go past .I was wading and couldn't tell what they were,except I kept the popper fly moving and the fish were a jumping at my fly but nothing hit the fly.took a break and chatted with some council workers .thought I'll head home soon not much happening.Went back in the water the wind had picked up and for a short while the Bream got hungry .Had a few jumps at my fly and then wham bam this little bream slightly larger than Mondays was putting up a great fighting effort .Posted ImageAnd this one of the same fish is now my desktop picture great shot of the fly anywayPosted ImageAnd who'd think a tiny bit of Foam and some man made feathers would keep a grown man busy for hours

I went down this morning I didnt stay long .I should have taken my waders was it cold with a strong wind a blowing.Fish were jumping and I lost 2 Bream all in a space of 15 minutes to 30 minutes .Then I noticed the fly that was doing all the damage was itself damaged .Swapped it a few more jumps then DEAD nothing.So feeling the cold I went home .