this maybe a very dumb question, but i see some rods and its got an extended butt. like it goes back tot he butt then has another grip section, wat does that do? also i saw a shiman rod at K-mart its 7"3 2-4kg price is 60 was thinking of getting it to chase bream etc, aswell migth learn how to use sp and lures. and cheking out some 1500 series reel maybe a daiwa but my budget doesnt ectend that much, want somthing about 100 for a whole combo. recomendatons thanks.

The rods with the "extended butts" serve different purposes.You can get small outfits with a section of bare blank between the reel seat and the end cap. This is called a "skeleton butt" and is designed simple to cut down weight on light lure casting outfits.You will also see this used on surf outfits. It helps keep the reel up out of the sand, and by having your hands further apart on the rod it provides more leverage during a cast to enable you to punch your bait out further.In regards to the Bream outfit, I think $100 is a pretty slim budget for a complete outfit. I would suggest that if you raised your budget to $150-200 you would be getting closer to the mark, or you may find that your $100 investment turned out to be a waste of cash on something substandard and cheap which will let you down.About the cheapest retail outfits you'll find would be something along the lines of a Shimano Catana/Sienna combo.Also keep your eye on the secondhand market, where you can sometimes pick up an entry level outfit for about $100-150.

I reckon you would be able to pick up something for $100. Especially if you're just starting out with lures and SP's. I bought a light rod from Kmart for $20 and a reel from rays outdoors for $8 for my first bream outfit. I have a better one now but don't catch anymore fish and it doesn't feel any better to use. And my old combo is still going and my mates quite often borrow it when we go fishing. I still use it a fair bit myself as I leave it in the car.

I bought a light rod from Kmart for $20 and a reel from rays outdoors for $8 for my first bream outfit. I have a better one now but don't catch anymore fish and it doesn't feel any better to use.

:icon_lol: sorry cant agree with that.. things like sensitvity & feel through your rod and reel play a massive part in catching more fish. high quality equiptment definatly is alot more comfy and nicer to use.. small things such as increased casting distance, accuracy and drag pressure will aid in catching more and better fish, not to mention that once of fish of a lifetime.. even things like high quality line will help increase your catch ..you dont have to spend a million dollars to get good peformance.. if you can save around $200 you will get a good quality graphite rod with a quality reel that if you look after will last you a life time..I sugest you go into your local tackle store and tell them how much you want to spend, what you want to do and they will show you a few diffrent options to choose from. steer clear from places like rays outdoors as they have no fishing knowlege and will most likely sell you a jig rod to catch bream :icon_eek: I know you said you only wanted to spend about $100. but it is well worth waiting and saving that bit longer to buy a better quality outfit. most tacklestore's do laybys aswell so you can chip away at it.BUY QUALITY BUY IT ONCE.. ;):fishing:

I was just saying he doesn't HAVE TO spend more than $100 dollars. When I bought that rod I was broke as. Had some fun with it and still am. The next rod I buy will be more than that, probably quite a bit more. But if you only have 100 to spend don't feel that bream fishing is out of your reach. Especially if you're starting out. And for the record, I wouldn't recomend buying fishing stuff from rays or kmart (even though I've just said I've done it). Especially if you don't know what you're looking at. Go somewhere that knows what they're talking about or as gyroscope said they will sell you somethin not suited at all.

welcome 2 dtrike hookRing up a tacklestore and ask them wat they would recomend and tell them ur budget and wat u fish 4

Its best if you just go into a tacklestore for advice if you can. Staff in tacklestores hate doing buisness over the phone. Its much easier if you go into a store and they can run through products with you.

I bought a light rod from Kmart for $20 and a reel from rays outdoors for $8 for my first bream outfit. I have a better one now but don't catch anymore fish and it doesn't feel any better to use.

BUY QUALITY BUY IT ONCE.. ;):fishing:
SOLID GOLD :fishing: Whatever you do tho', don't break it, those graphite wands need that bit extra care in transporting and using ::)