Review: Ugly Stik Gold 461UL

Thought I'd review a few things I've been buying that might help people out. I pay for everything, nothing is sponsored and I have no affiliation with any stores I mention.

Rod is USG-SP 461UL 1-3kg 7-18g, a 1 piece but at 4.6 feet that's not an issue. I bought this rod for flats fishing would you believe, mainly bait where I'm towing a tub behind me and casting sinkers. The length means I can turn around and drop the fish straight into the tub, no dicking with a net. This has worked out well.

However, the rod continues to surprise me just how versatile it is. I can cast a 7g lure almost as far as I can with my 7' rod, though not as easily. It's not as sensitive either but it's not bad, and is quite usable as a hardbody/SP rod even if not optimal - but where it's great is it fit's easily already rigged in my car, I can carry it ready to flick everywhere.

It is also a good squidding rod, again I can cast a 3.5 a good distance and the forgiving flexi glass construction is very suitable for squid.

And finally, it's got some guts, I landed a 56cm fat flatty with it no trouble at all, and had some decent salmon too.

At around $80 on special it's been a great rod, especially in the boat. I'm yet to try it on the yak, but no doubt it will be great there too. Best of all, these things are rated as close to unbreakable, unlike the several carbon rods I've killed, however if I did break it I'd buy another, it's been that useful.