Some idiot broke the tip of my Savage Black rod. I've repaired it, so I thought I'd document it.
Damage was right at the very tip
I wanted to reuse the tip if I could, so I had to strip back the epoxy and remove the old rod graphite, a simple scrape with stanley knife exposed the wrap
I unwound that and measured the old tip thickness
No wonder it broke, so bloody thin
Removing the old rod section I was now not worried about damaging it so I used a hot air gun which would damage the resin of the graphite but hopefully not the eyelet but would melt any glue.
Easy peasy. I put a 1.4mm drill down it to clean out the gunk but was obvious the sleeve was 1.5mm to allow for glue space so I also put a 1.5mm down it
Forgot to take a photo, but the break was pretty clean and the break end on the remainder of the rod was 1.45mm so I decided to glue the tip straight on. I used superglue aka cyanoacrylate which apparently is commonly used.
To align it I used a bamboo skewer through 3 eyes with tape around it to match each eye diameter, a blurry photo but I think you get the idea
I then bound (wrapped) the eye end to the rod with 80lb braid and used a bit of superglue to hold that in place. I'm probably going to epoxy it as well.
I could have used thinner braid but this stuff I use for assist hooks and I liked the idea of a bright orange tip
The 6'10 rod is more like 6'9 now , but at least it's not a bin job!