Newbie looking for some tips for crab fishing (bait)

Hi everyone,

Its my first post here (I'll do the 'Introduce yourself bit later), anywho - I've been crabbing heaps of times but not in ages and have two questions:

I want to catch some carp in the next couple of days before the weekend to use as bait, so - is fresh carp best or should I leave it out in the sun for a day to get stinky?

Secondly, I'm based in the burbs just out of the city and don't want to travel too far to catch the carp, so - is there a good probability to catch carp at the Torrens? If so were abouts on the Torrens, if not - where would the next best/closest place be to go?

Cheers!

I’ve caught a few carp here. You park there then just walk to the water. Magazine road dry creek. You could also park were the second photo is as it may be safer more cameras if your fishing at night etc 

just bring some mosquito repellent as lots about atm.

I’ve never had any luck in the Torrens. I use bread. Also look up Alex fishing sa and you’ll learn some tips.

IMG_0850.png

IMG_0852.png

1 hour ago, Bilbobaggins said:

I’ve caught a few carp here. You park there then just walk to the water. Magazine road dry creek. You could also park were the second photo is as it may be safer more cameras if your fishing at night etc 

just bring some mosquito repellent as lots about atm.

I’ve never had any luck in the Torrens. I use bread. Also look up Alex fishing sa and you’ll learn some tips.

Cheers Bilbo,

I spoke with a guy at a fishing shop and he recommended a couple of points on the part of the Torrens near 'Possum Park' - that there are a few clear places that the shrubs have been cleared out near reeds for catching carp. I went for a reci around there and you're right - the mozzi situation is pretty full on.

Did you try a strategic place at the Torrens? I might go back to this guy tomorrow to get an exact location.

On 24/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, marlin.brando said:

Cheers Bilbo,

I spoke with a guy at a fishing shop and he recommended a couple of points on the part of the Torrens near 'Possum Park' - that there are a few clear places that the shrubs have been cleared out near reeds for catching carp. I went for a reci around there and you're right - the mozzi situation is pretty full on.

Did you try a strategic place at the Torrens? I might go back to this guy tomorrow to get an exact location.

I tried roughly here. If you have the time going to the Murray river should yield a lot of card just bring an eski. Waikerie seems to have a lot of carp.

I mean try a few places bring some bread. Throw some bread out and you’ll see them start to eat it.

IMG_0897.png

How did you go?

I haven't fished the Torrens for a few years, but I used to fish near the zoo and the uni. Some years there are heaps but not always.

Heaps of carp everywhere in the Murray river at the moment. I usually go to Goolwa or Murray Bridge as they are close to Adelaide. Fresh is better. Stinky bait will work but not necessarily better and avoiding smell keeps the family happy as well as those fishing around you.

On 28/01/2024 at 9:07 AM, Bilbobaggins said:

I tried roughly here. If you have the time going to the Murray river should yield a lot of card just bring an eski. Waikerie seems to have a lot of carp.

I mean try a few places bring some bread. Throw some bread out and you’ll see them start to eat it.

IMG_0897.png

Yeah, I've been to the Murray and caught heaps of carp - it was a matter of throwing the line in with some corn and one would grab it in minutes. I'm wanting to go somewhere closer to avoid spending more on petrol than to go locally.

Gonna go tomorrow so I'll keep Lockleys in mind, cheers! :) 

When you go fishing for something like carp, what kind of conditions are you looking for? eg. Morning (sunrise) or evening (sunset)? Are they more likely to be active during certain conditions?

On 28/01/2024 at 1:24 PM, Des said:

On my regular river walks, I would see successful Carp fishers in the spot indicated on my map.

Mawsons Lakes is also well known to hold a lot of big Carp

1403967670_CarpSpots.png.91c4fd421a18d97f02feae334d3ccf8c.png

That's awesome Dee, thanks for the effort of your post.

(Just a cut and paste from a previous post from Bilbo):

When you go fishing for something like carp, what kind of conditions are you looking for? eg. Morning (sunrise) or evening (sunset)? Are they more likely to be active during certain conditions?

3 hours ago, marlin.brando said:

That's awesome Dee, thanks for the effort of your post.

(Just a cut and paste from a previous post from Bilbo):

I never bothered targeting them :8_laughing::laugh:

But I would see people on my evening walk. More often on warmer days.

Not sure if the fishers were cooling off by the river or the Carp are more active then :35_thinking:

Good Luck

14 hours ago, Rybak said:

An easy, quick & cheap way for crab bait is go to your local supermarket & buy the home brand sardine tins in oil. Punch some holes in the tin & use the pull ring to attach to crab net. Can't get any simpler than that...& it works.

Cheers Rybak (Fisherman - Take it you are Slavic? ;) )

I'll definitely be trying this!!!

Just an update:

I went behind to the Torrens behind the zoo during sunset yesterday but still no carp going on. Again today at the Happy Valley Reservoir, near the reeds, but unfortunately no carp either. Found a good spot for Murray Cod - there were a few people catching them there and throwing them back as you are only allowed to keep carp and red fin. Still - good experience and learning plenty along the way, eg monitoring the channels, time of day and spots where others were catching fish. At the very least, it was a nice day in the sun and some great peace time/solitude!

Gonna bite the bullet though and make the schlep to Murray Bridge on Tuesday for these damn carp!