Flathead - from a boat???

Hmmmm.I love Flathead and would like to try and target them from the boat.I'm not asking for marks or anything - I am in the process of having the odd "exploratory day"Any advice on what bottom to look for ?What rig/ lure to use.Drift of drop the pick??I normally launch from either West Beach or O'Sullies,I seem to remember that Hallett Cove/Marino is a good area to try?Any advice appreciated.

Im sure you will catch them in the areas you have mentioned that you prefer to fish. However Ive had great success fishing in the channels in the upper regions of both gulfs.Middle beach, Pt Broughton, Pt Pirie etc etc. I target them where there is ribbon weed dropping into the channel. A moving bait or lure seem to work best for me.When I lived at Pirie I would work a gutter out from 4th creek regularly and caught some great fish there and in good numbers too.cheerssnapps

Hey Russell,Wether it was a freak catch or what i dont know but, i caught one from Hallet Cove a few months back. 12ft of water over a rocky/sand bottom.Used a paternoster rig size 6/0 long shank hook holding pilchard chunks.Worth a go on the way back from your other place ;)Colin

some years ago when i used to fish out wide used to pick up flathead on a regular basis drifting with the current & not much breeze jigging lures down in about 30metres of water off o'sullies. you will require a very good sounder to find the correct bottom to fish.the lures i used came from NZ cant recall the brand but were metal in the 50 - 60 gram weight & shaped like philchards with more weight in the rear end. colours that worked were pink & white, blue/chrome & plain chrome.