custom kix or 3000 size reel?

HeyIm having trouble deciding on a second reel. Currently i have a general setup consisting of a 2-4kg litespin and a custom kix 2508. my dilemma is that i have a second rod 4-7kg td redback with no reel. i have the opportunity to purchase a new one and dont know if i should buy a 3000 reel for the heavy rod or chuck the kix on it and buy a 2000 luvias for the 2-4kg. the shop where i bought the kix from say that its ideally suited to 15-20lb braid, making it a viable option on the heavy rod (although it does seem a bit heavy for a small reel).i just wanted to know what more experienced fishers think. ive yet to use a 4-7kg rod to its potential so i dont know what reel would be best. Thanks

depends on what you primarilly target mate. i have run 20lb braid on daiwa 2500's before, but i would not run 20lb on a 2508 spool, as the line cap wouldnt make it worth while.if you are in need of a heavier set up for snapps etc, and use your 2508 kix for lighter in boat use then i would get a sol 3000 or similar for the dredback.if you mainly fish land based in easturies such as the port or lake, then i would go the 2000 luvias for light work, and then grab a 2500 spool for the kix to run 15-20lb on the dreadback.hope this helps, matt.

i rekon u would get away with both becasue ive got a 6-8kg rod at home and I run my custom kix 2500 on it aswell as a 4000 calida kix which they are both fine, I dont think it would matter If u ran a 3000 or a 2500 becasue there isnt that much differnt and these days with spinning reels they are more robust, smoother and better drag

After getting some feedback from tackle stores, im gonna go with a 3000 size reel, most likely a luvias and ill leave the 2508 on the light rod. on another forum someone said they fit 250 mtrs or 20lb braid on a 3000 luvias...i think that should take care of most situations, yes?..Cheers for all the help

• 2 weeks later...
Shark_Fisho wrote:

sounds gd but u shouldve bought a Daiwa rod

Nah. i prefer the grip set up and the overall feel of this rod to a similar daiwa. plus, the tcurve has the new fujis and for the price i paid i dont know if id get a daiwa with the sic guides.BL its the bream series 7ft 2-5kg. im still at a loss though on chosing between 2000 and 2500. i can still put 200 - 220 mtrs of 8lb on a 2000 but not sure yet. ive got a few weeks to decide b4 tax refund time.