L.R.S- Long Range Special

howdy shark fisho,got told years that the L.R.S models were bought out specific for long range fishing out from florida and other places.heaps of dudes would fish out of a big arse stationary boat and they fished these beefed up models in hoping of stopping the fish before they ran out of line.i think they targeted tuna and other gamefish.cheers adamibinfishin

Guest SuperThahn

The LRS is a different drag cam. The 30WLRSA has the same drag curve as the 50W just hold less line. What a lot of people do is run hollow core spectra and have a 200m topshot of mono. The 50WLRS is the same drag curve as the 80W and so on.

SuperThahn wrote:

The LRS is a different drag cam. The 30WLRSA has the same drag curve as the 50W just hold less line. What a lot of people do is run hollow core spectra and have a 200m topshot of mono. The 50WLRS is the same drag curve as the 80W and so on.

I know that m8 but some one has told me they are only to be used with braid on them for fast running fish.
Guest SuperThahn

Who ever told you they are only to be used with braid on fast running fish do no know what they are talking about. You can use them with mono they just hold less line and are not as heavy as the next size up reel.

SuperThahn is right they don't know what their talking about.I have two Tiagra 50WLRSA's I wanted the LRS models for the flexibility of fishing two different stiles.1/ with IGFA rules 24Kg Mono for Game fish SBT etc.2/ with 130lb hollow core with a mono topshot for large fishYou can set the strike drag to 24/4=6Kg or 37/4=9Kg or 60/4=15KgMax strike drag for a 50WLRSA is 16KgThe main difference between 50WA and 50WLRSA is the drags 13/16 17/20KgThe 30's are different The drags on the 30A and 30WLRSA are the samebut the 30WLRSA is a bigger reel.(I know this sounds wrong but check the web site)http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/reels/conventional/tiagra.html