ive only used this method on my abu 7000 and ugly stick... with the alvey ive used it enough to sort of get a feel for where it should be.... when its in the rocks holder, its backed right off so the fish can run, after i strike, i tighten the drag by instinct.....

Guest undertaker

I generally set my drag at 1/3 breaking strain of the line being used,as previously mentioned.Set your scales up to something "sturdy".......I normally put mine in the vice on the bench in the shed.....solid enough ;) Mount your reel onto the rod,and run your line through the runners,tie a loop in the end of your line,and put it over the hook of your scales.Now,wind in the "slack line",and start to fashion a "working curve",whilst slowly walking backwards,and the line should start to slip off the spool under tension.....against the drag.......while reading from the spring balance,and using the "formula",tighten or loosen your drag knob / button / star as required.You may need some help to get an accurate reading from your scales........mine have a sliding "stopper" on them,so when the tension on the spring is released,the stopper will stay at the highest tension / weight attained....making for an accurate reading.If you don't wish to use a rod,you can use the same method by pulling directly from the reel.....but only set the drag to 1/4 the breaking strain of the line,as the added friction through the runners will cause a guaranteed bust-off later on your fish if you set it at 1/3.........trust me I know :( Hope this helps.......I'm sure others have other methods,but this has worked for me for "donkey's years" B)