A fish by any other name...

Guest Butters

Guest Butters

Just thought i would pass on this info from a fish facts email i received from fisheries..The South Australian Government has adopted the national Australian Fish Names Standard, which will result in a change to some of the names we use for some fish species commonly caught in South Australia.PIRSA Fisheries Executive Director, Mr Will Zacharin said the standards have been implemented to ensure each fish species is known by one name only in Australia and to prevent confusion amongst consumers about the type of fish they are purchasing. The new names will apply across the whole seafood industry.Fish names that will be affected include ? Golden perch (previously known as callop or yellow belly) Pipi (Goolwa cockle) Bight redfish (Nannygai) Australian herring (Tommy ruff) Australian salmon (salmon or salmon trout)CheersButters

Guest Butters

i agree with all of you guys too.. Pipi... what the hell is that.. imagine telling some one you caught your last snapper on a Full Australian Herring.. just doesn't sound right.. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

Get real, who cares what they're called. I'm sick of always having interstaters, new arrivals, an internationals scratching their heads when i say Tommy or Salmon Trout, sorry you ol' (mostly young) conservatives, but Im all for Coherence and and Progress!Of course that dosent me ill be correcting people, and you're all right; the old names will stick, but I think its a good idea to change them. This law is to prevent commercial names like ButterFish being MEKONG-DELTA CATFISH, or god knows what being called SEA BREAM or SEA PERCH!!! YUK![/color:h3azajc2]SALMON TROUT - STUPID NAME, it is NOT A SALMON, it is NOT A TROUT, you cant half tell theres a lot of hooch in this state, this fish was named after an old English Hallucination!!!Herring Exist All over the WORLD, Tommies are bloody Herring until they cross the border, whats more they dont even breed here!HA! Cat amongst the Pigeonsor should i say [i:h3azajc2]Felis catus[/i:h3azajc2] amoung the [i:h3azajc2]Columba livia[/i:h3azajc2]!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dabilda

If 99% of the worlds population can relate to them by those names then why can't we in SA? Get with the program people............ 1 name all over = no confusion. Everyone knows what everyone else is talking about. How can this be a problem?Salmon trout {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif rubbish............. do we also have Bream trout, Snapper trout etc etc?? A salmon is a salmon, a bream is a bream and a snapper is a snapper from the day it is born till the day it dies.How many people here send their human trouts off to school each day?DaBilda

• 2 months later...