Nice Greenly Is Kingfish on light gear.

• 1 month later...

I agree, it looks like good fun! Is this the same spot fished by Rolf Czabayski with Calipso Star? I am planning a trip there from Adelaide in the next 12 months and I have a few questions:- What depth is the water during this fishing scene? - How safe is the anchorage there overnight? Is it mainly sheltered from the West to S/E only?- If the wind overnight swings to a 10-15 knts North N/E will the anchor hold quite safely? Is it mainly a rocky bottom?- Once there, would it be worth getting also to Pearson or is the fishing fairly similar at these locations?- How far are the Sambos grounds and in what general direction from Greenly?Hopefully someone can give me some answers or point me in the right direction. This for me will be a one off thing, it might be years before we will get another shot at this and it would be good to be able to make the most out of this big trip ;) Thanks in advance,Opti

I will get the maps of that area out of the garage this afternoon. From memory there is more than 1 reef area marked nearby. I will post back after I have checked it.Never launched from Coffin Bay also, what is the approach into Coffin like in a big northerly? And how easy is it to navigate in the Channel for a 50 footer? Are there any real alternatives with an approaching front over there leaving Greenly?I would welcome some local knowledge here, I have never fished west of Thistle.Opti

Guest SuperThahn

All the cray boats get in and out of coffins no worries just got to watch where you are going. Coffins ramp is a bit shallow but should be able to lauch your cat there fine.There are heaps of lumps around greenly and rocky and all have fish.If there is a front comming just head for coffins quick.About 80km from coffins ramp to Greenly.

Hi SuperThahn, and thanks for the input. I have never been in Coffin Bay and I have a few more questions:- How many Cray boat work out of Coffin roughly? I mean are there quite a few? If so that means no navigation at night during Cray Season!!! :( Which probably would suggest that we should plan the trip during the Off Season for Crays.I am not planning on going there with my boat mate! Would never even consider towing it there unless I was going to leave it there for a couple of years! and it that case I would have to drive the boat there by sea and the trailer without the boat on it by land! Big job mate, I would rather Charter a good local operator, much simpler and better. I am planning a 7-10 cruise off Adelaide with a big cruiser and getting in and out of Coffin would only be something I would do if I was desperate and with a big "unexpected" front, otherwise I would not be there in the first place! I am thinking May next year, at this stage(now that you have mentioned Crays), so that we can troll for Tuna on the way over and back. Looking on Google Earth Coffin seems fairly tricky, in particular at night, in a big cruiser, at low tide, and without ever having been there!- What do you reckon???- Now check the following Picture, what do you reckon of those areas I have marked? I can only go by that! Posted Image - Also there are 2 lumps (29 & 47) that look interesting west of Rocky, they have been in my to do list for the past 20 years! What you reckon about those? We would be passing through there on our way from Adelaide to GreenlyGuys, I would appreciate any feedback, even if in PM rather than here, from anyone with a good local knowledge of that area. I will be probably fishing this area a handful of time in my lifetime and I am sure we cannot do any real damage out there! :P I will also consider having with us on our boat someone local, who can prove to have fished that area consistently! Food and Drinks are on us!I look forward to some feedback!Opti