gave the snyder glas a birthday

since im as sick as a dog, and feel like ive been hit by a bus, i cant go fishing.so i gave my 20+ yr old snyger glas a birthday.the clear coat along the rod, and the epoxy on the eyes have seen better days, so i carfully cut the epoxy off the eyes, without damaging the thread too much ( just a couple of threads loose)then gave them a new coat of epoxy...the varnish on the rod itself was also flacy, so i used an old kitchen knife to rub it off using the back of the knife...then a quick rub with steel wool, and it now looks like new,the wodden butt copped a rub back with sand paper, the black lines in the butt also got a new coat of black paint, then for a custom touch, i used a smoke lighter to singe and leave some sooty patterns on it.then the rod, and butt wore a coat of clear paint from a spray can...cant get any pics yet, as the rod is slowly turning to even and smooth out the epoxy on the threads....damn i love this rod.... dont use it often now,as i tend to use my snyder 2 piece rod, thats a little lighter than the 14ft one piece... but thats going to change...ive forgotten just how great the one piece is.... tuff as nails, and i can cast a lot further with it as well...

Had a Snyder MT8144 that I built myself way back when adam was a boy. Well maybe not, more an adolescent perhaps. ha ha ha It was a one piece and a joy to use. Nailed some ripper reds off the stones I loved to fish back then, the biggest going in excess of 15kg. Fished with a 650C5 alvey & 20lb schnieder line that beast was indestructable.I dont reckon they make em anywhere near as good these days Nev. Well not for the money they were back then. Cheap, by todays standards. So good onya for tarting yours up. I'm sure it'll be good for anotehr 20+ years and countless reddies ;)

coonta kinta wrote:

Had a Snyder MT8144 that I built myself way back when adam was a boy. Well maybe not, more an adolescent perhaps. ha ha ha It was a one piece and a joy to use. Nailed some ripper reds off the stones I loved to fish back then, the biggest going in excess of 15kg. Fished with a 650C5 alvey & 20lb schnieder line that beast was indestructable.I dont reckon they make em anywhere near as good these days Nev. Well not for the money they were back then. Cheap, by todays standards. So good onya for tarting yours up. I'm sure it'll be good for anotehr 20+ years and countless reddies ;)

fanatsic rod... and now irreplaceable as is all snyders.... they dont make them anymore.ive got 3...."fish striker" MT 6110 overhead 30-45 grams,2 piece rod that i mainly use for beaches and squid from the rocks, "fish striker" MT 144 8 wrap DLX 55-110 gram 2 piece that i use for salmon, stingrays and snapper with the alvey 650cand a "REGAL 5153 7 wrap 7--140gram one piece for stingers salmon and snapper.... (and BIGGER if it comes along.)that i just gave the birthday too. the one pice is a rod and a half.... ultra strong, and i have no doubt it will handle more than i can.... i would break before it did.im now trying to get hold of 3 more to also give a birthday too as well...3 of my brothers also use them, mostly 8 wrap one pieces...something to do while im too sick to fish...can prob to get 2 preety much straight away, but one of my bro's is in england on holidays so his can wait.was just invited for a 6 hr trip to drift the rip in a boat tomorrow...but passed on that.... far too crook to even think about fishing at the moment.

oh and btw... im pretty sure the MT8144, is the same blank as my MT 144 8 wrap...ive been told that they sometimes put the "8" at the front, or at the back of the other numbers....its supposed to signify its an 8wrap or so ive been told.great rod.thats not very old though... i bought it new 18 yrs ago.... :laugh: and the only reason it was bought was i wnted a 2 piece, as the rod carriers of the day used to get mounted on the roof gutters of your car... used to scratch the car, and i had a couple of pair pinched so went the 2 piece to put the rod in the car.i was originally going to get the one piece cut, and made into a 2 piece, but the bloke at the tackle shop said if i did that to that rod, i was a bloody idiot... ( or words to that effect...which started with "F" and ended with "HEAD" )

Yes mate its the old way of numbering them MT = Medium Taper8 = the # of wraps144 = the length in inches.Then there were / are the FSU's SU's FT's & one other I think that eludes me now. Am going on memory here, remember I'm old so cut me some slack if I get this wrong, but the FSU is a Fast Surf, SU = surf, and FT, well that has to be a fast taper.Surprised to hear they are no longer made. I have seen a few, especially the 7wraps, in various tackle stores. Might have to pay Pillie another visit @ ABT and grab the couple he had there in case I want to rekindle the youth and replace my sabres :laugh:

found this on the web....dated october 30 2008After 32 years of manufacturing quality Australian made fishing rods and blanks, the directors of Snyder Glas have decided to retire.By Christmas it is anticipated that production of all Snyder Glas blanks and rods will have ceased and only existing stock will be available.We hope we have contributed to your fishing success and enjoyment over the last 32 years and may thanks to those that have supported us over our time.The team the Snyder Glas.

was just reading about another old rod i have.... a butterworth surf rod...according to what ive read, it was made with the chrome reel seat, between 1970 - 1975....with len butterworth resigining in 1977, and then rights to len butterworth name bought by jarvis walker in 1980... so if im correct, that and even older rod than the snyder's i have...wow...

Great rods,but coonta I have to put one thing up mate ,the MT actually stands for multi taper not medium taper. Nev I have one here at home you would kill for its a SU 7153 [same blank as your one piece] and with it came a tag that says "custom made by Len butterworth and Dick Snyder".Its yellow and sits in the shed,have only used it once as I"m starting to think the better nick its in the more value it may get.Cheers B)

Cal wrote:

Great rods,but coonta I have to put one thing up mate ,the MT actually stands for multi taper not medium taper. Nev I have one here at home you would kill for its a SU 7153 [same blank as your one piece] and with it came a tag that says "custom made by Len butterworth and Dick Snyder".Its yellow and sits in the shed,have only used it once as I"m starting to think the better nick its in the more value it may get.Cheers B)

now that rod is worth some money to collectors thats for sure.we need a drooling smiley

Man, reading these posts brought back some memorys of the rods & blanks (i have built up over the years) rods i have sold early in my retail years. one i have in my possession at the moment is the butterworth "fish hunter" (bullet) MT996 the first one of these i bought i also purchased a seascape reel 6:1 gear ratio (australian made reel just to let the younger folk know)& 3 of us were going to have a fishing trip to hat head in nsw casting lures off the rocks there for cobia, spanish mackel etc, did'nt happen for some reason or another so used the outfit locally for a few years caught a couple of eagle rays on it & hooked & lost a kingfish off rapid bay, yep brings back a few memorys alright, does anybody remember the fluro 4120 sticks that came out for a while fluro yellow, green, blue, & i think there might have been an orange colour as well. sold a few of those baby's. the yellow ones you could almost see thru'em had an idea about settin one up with some sort of light inside so you could see it at night, i think one of the blokes i sold one to actually did that, would have been a sight on waits beach in the dark, "o" for the good ol,days

projoe wrote:

does anybody remember the fluro 4120 sticks that came out for a while fluro yellow, green, blue, & i think there might have been an orange colour as well. sold a few of those baby's.

Ha ha ha Nope I didnt but the big man out front of teh sportfishing scene did! I did have one of the light, almost sky blue ones. It was an off the shelf job with white underbinding and similar colour blue over binding. Nice stick, not sure why I ever sold it

not being rude here... went to the tackle shop...and got a new butt plug to finish off the one piece rod... shes hunky dory now..now..if im better on the weekend i will go give it a test... i miss using it, great for flicking big baits, and sinkers out a long way.....glad i didnt go the rip today... bro just got back to ramp, they drifted it time and time again since 1pm, and got naff all....

rocknev wrote:

SandyWhiting wrote:

Saw ya today nev :)

i bet your eyes will never be the same again.... fugly aint i....
Not even, you were heading off of searle street turning into MClennan street, left at the corner ;) you were very much concentrating :laugh:;) I was gonna wave, but too late ;) We spent up good there too the other day, Wes's mum is a gem :)
SandyWhiting wrote:

rocknev wrote:

SandyWhiting wrote:

Saw ya today nev :)

i bet your eyes will never be the same again.... fugly aint i....
Not even, you were heading off of searle street turning into MClennan street, left at the corner ;) you were very much concentrating :laugh:;) I was gonna wave, but too late ;) We spent up good there too the other day, Wes's mum is a gem :)
ah... i was heading around to see an old workmate.... he has just retired, and i was asked 20 yrs ago to do a bit of welding for him... NOW he looks like he might be ready to actually start the job hahahaha.the "job" is a 1931 modela ford hot rod he has been collecting parts for for over 30 yrs...im boxing the chassis rails, and doing all the welding for the engine mounts, crossmembers, diff etc etc... but knowing tonk, it will be another 10 yrs or more before he actually starts.he has a lot of stuff though... 2 model a chassis, and the 31 front end and cowling.... HUGE job, but he aint got nothing better to do.even his alloy boat which his dad gave him before he died hasnt been on the water for 5 yrs...

went and gave the rod a test run this morning.... damn i like this rod, a tad heavy, but man can it fling them out.missed a snapper run, but wasnt a real good run anyway.if it was any good it would have swallowed the lot.so now im out the back, doing my brothers snyderglas.cept his still has the original thread, and still in good condition, so im just peeling off the peeling bits and will re epoxy it.gave the rod a rub down with steel wool, and will give it a coat of clear paint when im ready.then i got my younger bro's rod to do as well...