Please Help

Guest undertaker

I have the older Spinfisher 9500ss on an MT8144.I run 50lb braid......Spiderwire is my choice.......fish for shark on Yorkes and mulloway over the Far West Coast.In my opinion,8144 isn't the rod to use for salmon,and 50lb braid is well and truly overkill on them......any chance of another outfit as well?

biased opinion here..but for surf work... alvey wont let you down in the gritty sand.if it falls over ( and it will) rinse it off in the surf if you dont have fresh water, and carry on fishing.mines on a snyderglas, 650c alvey with 25lb line.vb4me and sandywhiting seen me cast it out yesterday... i will let them tell you how far the cast went.all i will say is it goes further than an abu7000 or any eggbeater ive used.

I assume you're going to be using bait? If that's the case, I prefer to use mono when bait fishing, just like the extra stretch it gives. For that reel I would use 20 pound line and you should be able to get around 300 yards on it, which I consider to be the minimum amount of line on a beach reel, not necessarily for fish running but if you have to cut back during the day 300 yards of line will give you a bit of a buffer. If you want to go heavier you could use braid, maybe 50 pound, and put on a topshot of mono to give you that nice line stretch when a fish takes your bait.

hi rod star I run a 750ss and a 850ss on a snyder ft4120 with 60 lb braid and it works well and has accounted for many mulloway and sharks (and some massive rafts of weed), some of the time the reels have been completely submerged in saltwater while lure fishing. The thing is if you do go lure tossing in the water make sure it is the older model spinfisher because when jarvis walker took over the company they cheapened the reel by putting die cast cogs inside (these cogs will corrode big time in salt), the older reels have machined brass pinion gears and stand up to harsher treatment. Still if you submerse the reel make sure you strip it down each time. I forget the brand of the braid. hope this helps Bill

I use 30lb pretest mono i can get about 275mtrs on my 850 that should be ample for sharks up to 5ft and nice size butterys, biggest eaglie i have caught is 60lb on this outfit and bronzies up to 5ft .BUT i have got mind on a fsu 5120 as i like to throw out large squid heads and i also like the line stretch factor cheers