berlying in the surf

Guest davidm#2

Guest davidm#2

gday all,im a keen surf fisher who goes away alot, and was wondering wat types of berly system you use. :) ive tried using an acnchor with a bag on a pully system but that didnt really work :huh::( . and at the moment i just have a bag with a rock in it tied to a droper, any suggestions of effective systems are welcome. :P (keeping in mind fishing at the coorong)cheers david :)B)

i go to the waters edge... preferably at low tide, dig a hole about 6 inchs deep, and pour cat food into it with a bit of tuna oil, pellets and even squid.then bury itas the waves come over the top of it, it slowly washes the berley away as the sand moves...works pretty good, as up to 3 hrs later, you see bits of cat food coming to the top and floating out with the waves

I do the same things, throw diced pillies in by hand every so often, a little tuna oil from a squeeze bottle, and for longer sessions I'll bury a bit of both in the sand. I've also had good luck using left over prawn crackers all crushed up for bread and butter type fish off the beach and sometimes I'll make my own whiting nuggets to use.

• 1 month later...

I've just started a new technique where I take a clean one litre square cardboard milk carton and fill it with my favourite berley mix, then put a grapnel sinker into the middle of it and freeze it. When I'm ready to fish a beach I cut away the carton and tie a small gauge rope to it and let it rest in the breaking surf.It slowly defrosts in the surf and the grapnel sinker holds it in the sand. Only tried it once so far, but it worked a treat for a 2hr session. Will be out again this sunday morning at Parsons for the dawn session to try it again. Any kind of carton would do, Ice coffee maybe? By freezing the mix I find I can get the most out if a smzll amount of beerley mix. Might be a bit too much preparation for some, but if it works I reckon it's worth the effort :)

When I put the grapnel into the carton, I make sure that the pins are as close to the sides as possible so that when you tear off the carton the pins are visible and can be bend out to act as the anchor. As the berley defrosts you can adjust the pins as needed. :) I would post a pic as I have some but posting pics for me is like trying to mix water and electricity. :angry: