Daiwa Saltist Levelwind 30HA

Just brought my first ever Daiwa reel :) Chose it over the Tekota 600 as it felt alot smoother and I liked the overall feel of it - Daiwa Saltist Levelwind 30HAAnyone got one? You like? Any good for casting with the levelwind?Now need to decide what to spool it with. I'm thinking 25-30lb FINS braid for bottom bashing, targetting snapper, gummy sharks, even GT's, mulloway, etc from the boat.Any tips would be great. I would assume I'll need alot of line as the capacity is :14/490, 20/295, 25/230Any advice would be greatPosted Image

I have the larger 50 without the lever wind and love this reel...i borrowed my friends and loved the grunt and speed of line retrevial so brought one myself. I have used it to wrestle snapper out from under Wallaroo jetty and have used it in the surf casting for mulloway.I will be using it over on the west coast after xmas chasing mulloway and sharks also.Its nice and smooth with a drag that has alot of pull in it!

dont mean to hijack the thread but are they easy to cast from the beach for surf fishing? and whats the difference in distance between that and say a penn 950ssm which i have if cast by the same person? i have this daiwa on my wishlist but ive never used a baitcast and am a little bit scared of birdnesting if casting long distances on windy days!

Like anything with practice your distance will improve when casting any type of real but particularly with overheads. I cannot comment on the 30ha but with my 50h i can get some very good distance but generally with surf fishing maximum distance isnt always required. The reel has a tension adjustment on the side so at first you can tighten this right up which will effect your casting distance but will reduce birds next considerably until you improved your technique in casting with an overhead.

Guest big lizard

As said they cast a mile, the over run is a killer but when you are used to it they are dynamite, find somewhere you can go practice casting it, remeber the level wind will slow your casts down too and you'll lose a bit of distance.... To be honest if your fishing a headwind any overhead is a pain to cast, you will be out casted by someone using an spin outfit or an alvey...... If your worried about birds nests buy some cheap mono line and wack it on and go ya hardest....

Thanks guys, I've used overheads before but just wondered how they cast. Thanks for the responses.Adamibinfishin, can you explain shock leaders etc to me a bit more? I'm looking at 30lb FINS braid for the main spool, is a shock leader same as I would use when bream fishing with braid to fluorocarbon just with the word "shock" inserted? :P Serious question though.... :unsure: Uni to uni knot, then tie my rig on after the shock leader? :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

howdy fushlups,when i say shockleader mate i mean slightly heavier than mainline.for example you have put 50 pound braid as a mainline you could put 80 pound shock leader or a wind on leader.i would go a wind on myself with loop connection,this allows you to control fish in the boat,surf fishing with heavy baits and takes all the punishment at the business end,hope this helps.cheers adamibinfishin