Tips on filling spools properly

I've got a daiwa kix 4000 size reel and also a Saltist 30HA that I want to fill with 20lb braid and 30lb braid respectively. I was thinking of getting 300m of each in FINS.Any tips on filling the spool? I would assume 300m would be enough but obviously it depends on the diametre of the line. I will use some backing too to stop slippage. I don't mind wasting some braid, but want to get my line to the right capacity on the reels.What about backing? SHould it be a decent quality? Same weight? and tips on tieing knots to join to main line?Any advice would be great ;)

They might just charge u a fee for spooling it. Seeing as you have to estimate the amount of backing its difficult. if you had two spools the same you could just put it on reverse and then wind it on the other. i spose you could still fill the spool in reverse then pull all the line off and wind it back on the propper way...bit of a head F. though and you wouldnt want to get a tangle half way...be easier to take it to any tackle shop ( or a sponsor could help ya out ;) )

It doesn't come with a spare spool that's kinda the problem, although I could wind it back onto the actual spool it came on in the shop obviously.Might just take it to my local, they have FINS braid in bulk so should load it up perfectly....I just had a bad exp at one tackle shop, scraped the top of my spool, a scratch that went the whole way around, and was waaaaaay overfilled!

when i spool the alvey, the line goes into a bucket of warm water, around the rainwater tank downpipe twice, then through the eyes of the rod, through my fingers and is wound on evenly with said fingers...normal reel or my overhead,i soak the line in warm water for 10mins or so, then put a screwdriver through the spool hole, then put the blade in the vice...this way i can tighten or lossen the ammount of pressure on the spool when the spool side runs around the vice jaws.then through the eyes of rod, and wind like mad.i like it reasonably tight on the reel, but i dont go everboard.

Guest big lizard
big lizard wrote:

Take the reel to where you bought it they will spool it up for you properly, if your getting bulk fins we have it on the hill...

Maybe i came across wrong? But just suggested to take it to the place of purchace cause they know you bought it from there and they will do you a good deal on braid too... We spool up reels for nothing, you just pay for line ... Cheers