Certainly no expert, but isnt that why we used to have two fortnightly closures instead of the current system where we have one 4 weekly one.It was always my understanding, that there were two schools of thought as to when the fish spawned and the two separate closures were to address the concerns / beliefs of both camps I guess.

Over summer and autumn I'm always pulling in fish in roe.. I think they spawn over a fair length of time.. I always feel guilty and sad when I gut a snapper and it is in roe so I asked fisheries what gives regarding the closure at the wrong time and they said November is good a month as any for the closure.. hence the month long break. 2 weeks wasn't enough at the time of each break

this time the prvious 2 yrs, ive been pulling snapper in, and they have been shooting on the rocks...not this year though.the fish are late, here anyway, and ive only just started catching them again.im wondering if it may be wise to change the ban time yearly judging by what fisheries find outthe last 2 yrs when the ban has finished, the snapper caught are STILL blowing all over the rocks.