Line / Leader / Shock Leader / Trace Questions?

Gday all.I've just had a discussion with a few mates (over a couple of cold bottles of homebrew) about lines, leaders, trace, shock leaders, etc when using heavy sinkers in the surf for sharks, mulloway, tailor, etc.For many years I have used 50lb braid on a Penn 6500SS & 12 foot surf rod with the following tied onto the end of it:- Mainline braid albright knotted to about 3m of 80lb mono leader (not specifically "shock" leader, just some old stuff I've had and never really had any bust offs etc).- Leader then uni knotted to decent swivel.- From the swivel I'll run about 2 feet of wire or 80lb mono trace that goes to my hooks (with strip bait or pilchard on it).- I'll attach my sinker (4 to 6 oz star sinker) to the same clip as the trace goes onto with about 1 foot length of 48lb mono.This method had worked well for me over the years. I manage to cast out a fairly long way (as long as anyone else I'm fishing with or near) and have never suffered any cast induce bust off from the sinker. The bait & trace do end up sitting clean and free from the mainline or sinker dropper. However, I am mindful that it's a lot of knots and different strands going here, there and everywhere.One of my mates reckons I should use a specific "shock" leader because its only a matter of time before I lose gear during a cast. The other mate is of the opinion that my method (that I simply learned from my father & uncle when I was an ankle biter) works ok.When trying to hoik heavy sinker a long way, what are other people's preferred methods?Braid? Mono? Leader? Shock Leader?My mate has put the heebie jeebies up me and left me a bit confused (just like a Footscray resident when confronted by Sammy Newman).Any advice, opinions, thoughts will be warmly & gratefully accepted.Thanks in advance folks.Cheers. Tight Lines.

HiI always use a specific shock leader when surf fishing, I fish with a 15' surf rod Daiwa 5500 Emcast Advance with 30lb braid, a 8-10m shock leader and 6oz sinker, I also use the same basic knot set up as you, although I always attach my sinkers to a seperate snap swivel.Shock leaders are there to take the initial "shock" out of a loaded cast, so you need to use a leader that is at least 3x you rod length, this way you load up the leader and not any of the knots, as by the time you have released your cast, all of the load should have been released as the sinker will be in flight.For me I use shock leader for "piece of mind", the damage that can be cause by a sinker and trace that has snapped off can be quite shocking (excuse the pun), saying that no matter what you use you should be checking your leader for nicks and abrasion as you reel in.Thats my 2c worth, but as plankton says if it works and your confident with your own set-up, then that is half the battle.I your worried about your casting distance, I would maybe look at the way your trace is set up, I have started importing some pommy rig building parts, that I have used in the past and I'm adapting the set ups for Ozzy fish, so far things are looking sweet with some nice Salmon in the bag.Mike