Keeping worms good

i usually make the hourish drive down to hardwicke bay to gather worms for bait. the problem i have is they usually only last for a 2 weeks at most. i keep them in an open bucket filled with the seaweed i find them in/under. does anyone have any ideas on how to make them keep longer? also are these worms the same as the common garden variety?

thanks bennyi always keep my worms on the shed floor as the concrete is quite cold and as the weather hasnt been even warm lately i thought they might have lasted longer then the 3 weeks this lot did. the bottom sections of the seaweed in the bucket are rather slimey and has a off smell apart from the wet newspaper i dont think im doing anything wrong?

ahh,right then i'm gonna get me one of those broccoli boxes and have a crack at keeping worms in that as it should be easier to work the seaweed about than a small bucket. and i WILL refresh the seaweed weekly. right off to the hardware - yes you heard right, there is no tackle shop here just the hardware shop and the BP - shop to buy some bait for todays trip then next time i'm going to pay more attention to bait keeping

Cheers yep thats good, I reckon keep the worms in the bucket and just loosen up the seaweed each week and keep the lid off and just put wet newspaper on the top. The seaweed ya have in the bucket looks a lil old so it might be time to get some dry washed up seaweed and soak it in freshwater overnight and then put ya worms in that. Hope it helps B)