Port Hughes, Moonta

G'day all, Heading to Pt Hughes(with the boat) in a couple of weeks and was just wondering if there was any good recognised grounds that produce good fish?I have been there before, and caught a few whiting and squid, but would really like to catch a snapper on that side of the peninsula.I have been told to go out to the steamer channel(cant find co-ords) if the weather forecast is good, but other than that, i really dont have much, other than some spots out of the gps sa book. One that i have been told about, but unable to get co-ords for is the called the old light house, down near cape elizabeth i think.Any help with the area would be much appreciated.CheersBronzy

The old light is due west from Pt Huges boat ramp (straight out in line with jetty) aprrox 15klms, on calm day no probs (don't know your boat size). The reef runs north from whats left of the structure, can't miss it there will be hundreds of boats parked there, well atleast 20+. Can be good for Gar, Whiting,Snook & some times snapper. The shipping channel is Prob twice as far as the light and a long way back if the weather turns.Cape Elizabeth, turn left out of boat ramp, reef runs straight out from point to pole, scout around for sand holes. Be aware there is a second reef a little north of the point, maybe 500 mtrs with no marks.Hope this helps, Ian

poshmed wrote:

The old light is due west from Pt Huges boat ramp (straight out in line with jetty) aprrox 15klms, on calm day no probs (don't know your boat size). The reef runs north from whats left of the structure, can't miss it there will be hundreds of boats parked there, well atleast 20+. Can be good for Gar, Whiting,Snook & some times snapper. The shipping channel is Prob twice as far as the light and a long way back if the weather turns.Cape Elizabeth, turn left out of boat ramp, reef runs straight out from point to pole, scout around for sand holes. Be aware there is a second reef a little north of the point, maybe 500 mtrs with no marks.Hope this helps, Ian

Thanks for you help Ian. I will be fishing out of a 20fter. Cape Elizabeth seems to be a good spot, thats not out in the middle of the gulf.Does anyone know if the Tippara reef is worth a shot for snapper?cheersbronzy
poshmed wrote:

Tippara reef & the old light house are one and the same. Snapper can be found there at times, also a couple of K's futher out is the old abalone grounds where they can sometimes be found. Launching from wallaroo ramp you can take in the tyre reef. Ian

Cheers. I just checked it out on a navigation map and see what you mean. They are quite informative, and a legal requirement if you go a certain distance off shore.bronzy

If you do go out to the light be aware it't shallow close to the old light and in places north of it, the bottom can come up quick so just ease off on the speed and it shouldn't be a problem. Even if you go to cape Elizabeth slow down as you get close, again it gets shallow quick. Have fun When you get here but leave some for me PLEASE!!!!!!!