Help catching mullet?

Hi everyone im going fishing down the yacht squadron at "north haven?" and last time i was down there, their where huge schools of mullet just cruising past not interested in any of my lures {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gifI was wondering what is a good technique to catch these guys and what rigs and bait?Thanks {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

#1 rule of thumb is "USE BERLEY"!! {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifPersonally, I use a bran-based berley (pollard), mixed with chook pellets, tuna oil, whitebait and curry powder. Throw out a few 'berley balls' before you start fishing, and then once the mullet locate your berley (15-20mins max, if they are around), small, regular amounts will have them in your area long enough to get a feed. I use gents and keep the bait moving on the retrieve - mullet love a moving bait! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Gents are great, coz cockles are thieved from the hook a lot easier than gents. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifTight lines mate, and GET INTO 'EM!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,GH

The 2 inch Gulp Sandworms or even 6" (cammo or natural) rigged either behind a splitshot or even better a berley cage is a great way to get 'em IF u wanna CATCH em on LURES.If using bait the other fellas are spot on, berley every cast and be ready quick, 90% of bites will occur within 20sec of hitting the water!

Mullet mix is now a no no under the new regulations...

Despite some confusion this is DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE. YOU CAN USE RED MEAT or ROO MEAT as long as it IS ON YOUR HOOKS. It cannot however be in your burley or in your crab nets no matter how far offshore you are.[/size:53bb3i74]by the way GENTs are my fav bait when targeting mullet.
Guest Butters

Hey Westlakes... those mullet you see.. i reckon they might be jumping mullet.. I have seen quite a few schools down there and some are good size aswell.. but trying to get one of those to take a bait is tricky..only way i have caught them is by foul hooking them with metal lures.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Yep It was probably me in the Inflatable, its my vessle of choice (cost), haha!

Can I ask where this info comes from, coz fisheries refused to put that into writing when asked a coupla weeks back?

I knew this was comming..... and dont get me wrong explaning is not a chore i too feel this is something we've got to get right.ill present this boringly...1. The changes only pertained to 'burleying' not 'baiting'. The flesh used to attract crabs to a net has always been deemed by pirsa to be BURLEY and not BAIT.2. In a quest to clear this up both Finatic and MySelf spent considerable time in discussion with fisheries after Zach (apparently). commented that ALL red meat is banned what so ever.- First PIRSA coulnt give and answer- then they said yep its probably fine to use red meat on hooks as nothing says u cant.3. Unsatisfied with the response i again contaced PIRSA and said as Part of my job i inform others in regard to fishing regulations and a dark area is not acceptable to me, nor is a probable assurance. They advised they would have to get back as no one was immediately willing to put their weight their comments. - Received clarification that the regulation is as follows : Red meat, offal, or any part of a land animal (poultry included) may not be used as berley (for the purpose of attracting fish, crabs, sharks), in any waters of the state.Hooks are not mentioned and therfore not covered by the change in the regulation. PIRSA looked into it and realised thy knew what BAIT meant (to catch not to attract) hurrah!, so when then asked what is to stop an angler putting a strip of Roo meat on his/her hook. the answer is NOTHING IN THE REGULATIONS!....well hopefuly that will hold water for a few minutes!!!haha!!YAK!
Guest dabilda

The following is taken from Fisheries FAQ section.

Q. What about the use of small amounts of meat for berley or bait when targeting fish such as mullet?A. The intent of the law is to minimise the impact berleying may have on attracting sharks to areas close to other water users. It is considered unlikely that these products will have significant attractant properties and so they will be dealt with in the same manner as commercial berley. Compliance officers will use their discretion in weighing up the circumstances of its use.

Using red meat for mullet bait as has been done and is recomemded in the 2008 Rec Fishers Guide is ok.DaBilda

Yep It was probably me in the Inflatable, its my vessle of choice (cost), haha!

I knew this was comming..... and dont get me wrong explaning is not a chore i too feel this is something we've got to get right.ill present this boringly...1. The changes only pertained to 'burleying' not 'baiting'. The flesh used to attract crabs to a net has always been deemed by pirsa to be BURLEY and not BAIT.2. In a quest to clear this up both Finatic and MySelf spent considerable time in discussion with fisheries after Zach (apparently). commented that ALL red meat is banned what so ever.- First PIRSA coulnt give and answer- then they said yep its probably fine to use red meat on hooks as nothing says u cant.3. Unsatisfied with the response i again contaced PIRSA and said as Part of my job i inform others in regard to fishing regulations and a dark area is not acceptable to me, nor is a probable assurance. They advised they would have to get back as no one was immediately willing to put their weight their comments. - Received clarification that the regulation is as follows : Red meat, offal, or any part of a land animal (poultry included) may not be used as berley (for the purpose of attracting fish, crabs, sharks), in any waters of the state.Hooks are not mentioned and therfore not covered by the change in the regulation. PIRSA looked into it and realised thy knew what BAIT meant (to catch not to attract) hurrah!, so when then asked what is to stop an angler putting a strip of Roo meat on his/her hook. the answer is NOTHING IN THE REGULATIONS!....well hopefuly that will hold water for a few minutes!!!haha!!

Excellent, thanks for that explanation Yak!It seems fisheries are having problems interpteting their own regulations given the number of backflips they do on some issues! As it stands "THIS WEEK" Mullet mix is acceptible! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Hey Guys,Not wanting to hi jack this thread, just a quick note, with this meat issue as bait, does that then mean that the chicken in tuna oil that is used in the eastern states is allowed?? Now back on track, I have always used gents on my mullet and as said already, burley is a must.Ninja

• 2 weeks later...

A treble hook and a little bit of wait above it and just jag them thats what i do when im in a hurry. I no its not fishing but thats the best way to get them.

Graysy you are right this is 1 of the only ways to catch "jumping Mullet" but I am fairly sure that jagging fish with the method you described is actually illegal so don't get caught ! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifAs for the Mullet mix - you can just picture a giant White Pointer licking his lips at the thought of a tiny morsel of minced meat! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Thankfully commonsense has prevailed in this case. !I actually had a try for some Mullet down at Tennyson the other day and caught 10 Mullet although most of them were only just legal except for 1 real big 1. The size was dissappointing but it was still fun going back to some grass roots fishing ! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers