looking to get on a boat for SABT

Guest Brent61southoz

• 1 month later...
Brent61southoz wrote:

bumpdunno why i bother

Brent, I will only offer this once mate. Would you like me to edit the bottom bit out for you ??The reason I ask is that you want something. This site is one of the best ways to get want you want and THAT is why you bother !!I have seen a few guys get rides in boats in both fresh and salt comps from doing exactly what you have done.... simply ask !!Look at it this way.... if you don't get a ride this time round, someone may keep you in mind for next time.Chin up champ :P
Brent61southoz wrote:

been trying to get on a boat for last 2-3 years mate.even disposed of some lures because of the lack of responsebrent.wont lose any sleep over it, thats for sure

If that's the case, with all that extra money lying around, buy a cheap set up and get into it. Then it will be you that will be looking for a team mate for your ride !!

Hang on! Keep in mind, this classic tournament circuit is a team sport! It's not a cheap sport, in fact it's bl**dy expensive for us boaters, and teams do not split up to allow other people to have a fish!Amongst all the current competitors I know, I cant think of one single person who would do the dirty and dump their current partner to give someone else a ride who asked for it!Understand from a boaters point of view. These Classic series are TEAM events. We all have long standing partners, we have a responsibility to our partners, and we are committed to getting our partners out each and every comp! Every single competition we always fish with our same partner, and we head out and practice fishing together between comps. It's called a team and that's exactly how it works!They'd be pretty damn dark on us if we turned around and said "Sorry, someone on the website was looking for a ride so you're dumped!" Then they crack the shits, the team has broken up, but you are happy because you got a ride on a boat.It's bl**dy hard to get onto a boat for classic team events, and everyone is aware of that. It will only ever happen if someone is sick or injured on the weekend of the comp, or if a new boater enters the ring looking for a friend to fish with as a permanent partner.All you can do is throw your hat into the ring in case there is a last minute sickness or injury, and word will spread that you are looking for a ride and ready to go! You've already done that.That is the reason why the ABT has QUALIFYING events, so that people without boats (non-boaters) can finally have the chance to get out, and THAT is the best way to get onto a boat!Become an ABT member, choose the round(s) you want to fish, register and enter as a non-boater, and THAT will be your best chance to get out! The only way you will miss out then, is if you are late getting your entry in, and there are more non boaters than boaters registered. That's how WE all started in this sport!Failing that, you need to do what everyone else before you has done. They get together with a mate, they buy a boat, and they form a team to compete in these team events.It's pointless getting shitty though, because no-one out there wants to pay a few thousand to kit their boat out with livewell, leccy and electronics for bream tournaments, a few hundred dollars more to get their boat insured, then also pay a tournament entry fee so that you can get a ride in a tournament!I've done my best to get as many people out for a fish on my own boat as I possibly can (I'm taking someone else out tomorrow) because I know just how difficult it is to get onto a tournament boat, and I hope by taking them out it will help generate the interest for them to consider purchasing their own boats and entering themselves. I would never fish a tournament with anyone other than my partner Lazylure though, as I have a responsibility to my partner as a team, and keep in mind, every time I take someone else out for a days fishing, that's a day Lazylure has had to remain landlocked, and a days practice he has missed!With families, work and other commitments, we only get the chance to head out very bl**dy infrequently as it is! My own boat hasn't seen water since xmas!That holds our team back, we don't produce the same results other teams constantly fishing together can, because I'm always out showing others the ropes and helping newcomers instead of practicing with my partner. In the end that results in me and lazylure paying hundreds of dollars to enter these tournaments, while not being competitive enough to take a share in the prizes. We literally donate our entry money each tournament, because I always wanna waste all my time keeping other non competitors happy, and get non competitors out for a days fishing!As you know, I've even done my best to get competitors together to bring their boats along to "come and try social days", to get people onto boats for a day who wouldn't otherwise have the chance. You may not realise just how difficult it is to try getting all the boaters together to donate their time, experience and money for this!Dunno why I bother either!

One way of getting a foot in Brent would be to chase the bream landbased a bit harder, forget about the carp...... no carp ABT's or Classics ;);) Get really into the Bream and get to know them like the back of ya hand.... Post pics of ya catches on all the lure types and regularly so people can see ya know what your doing....Although these Comps are a bit of fun and socializing, the are SERIOUS aswell..... All the teams are out to win, so knowing the bream and best ways on the day to catch them is the key ;) I've only been in one comp, just as a fill in.... other then that it is hard if you or a mate don't have a boat....Sambo

samboman wrote:

Get really into the Bream and get to know them like the back of ya hand.... Post pics of ya catches on all the lure types and regularly so people can see ya know what your doing....Although these Comps are a bit of fun and socializing, the are SERIOUS aswell..... All the teams are out to win, so knowing the bream and best ways on the day to catch them is the key ;) I've only been in one comp, just as a fill in....

Sambo, I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a serious SPORT, not a social day out for a laugh and a chat!When I consider $400 insurance, $135 entry fee, $60 boat fuel, $60 car fuel, lost lures, outboard oil, maintenance and breakages, food and drinks, each tournament coast me a bl**dy lot as a boater.Let's not even consider the cost of the boat, kitting out the boat for tournaments, the tow vehicle, the outfits, lures and equipment!I would not be exaggerating if I said this sport has cost me WELL in excess of $50,000 when everything is added up. I haven't won an event yet either, and that's mainly because I'm not putting the time and commitment into it!Everyone out there is looking for competency and experience in their partners. That's how you win, and that's how you regain some of the expense you've put into the sport!I've heard your name bandied around for quite some time now as someone who is committed and competent when it comes to Bream fishing, and I also heard your name mentioned quite some time back, as a wise choice for a potential partner.I believe you are correct, knowing the Bream well most certainly does help when it comes to someone looking for a partner! This is a serious sport, not a game, where people are taking it very seriously and are paying quite a sum for the right to compete for large prizes and cash. Because of that, they are looking to team up with competent sportsmen to help increase their own chance of a win.
Guest Brent61southoz

no need to write tons of dribble.i know theres heaps of pennies involved , i know the times,effort,experience, hours put in .i also know theres a few who fish regularly from westlakes right thru the port river system . just because they dont advertise the fact or post their catches means they are any less competent .geez boys .better still JAGGER, delete this whole threadbrent

I know that if i ever got a bream boat ready for a tournament, the first person i would ask to be my partner would be Brenton.... cause i know by his time and effort plus success at catching them he would be a very handy partner.... ;) Hopefully that day comes when i can afford a boat...sambo

Brent61southoz wrote:

no need to write tons of dribble.brent

Knowing Brent as I do, I suspect all he's asking for is someone who is maybe looking to get involved in the ABT as a start. ;) I dont think he's expecting a ride with an established Boater, in the best boat, or to be part of the best team either, though obviously many would and do aspire to that goal.I think he's just looking for a starting point and feels a bit dissappointed that it hasnt happened for him yet. I'd happily take him out in my tub, but I'm not really into that scene or set up for it either Cheers and good luck Brent

As I have time "deviations" with work sometimes, I never know for sure if I can really commit to a comp or not until the last minute and Fianatic from Salisbury Tackleworld has always been more than happy to find me a boating partner if he can when I've done river comps ;):) maybe Brent could try asking Kym :) PS if its any help to him, I know he's always outdone me on the snapper :P:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: With his lure skills I'm sure he'd slay those Bream ;) :woohoo:

Ranger Wrote:

Hang on! Keep in mind, this classic tournament circuit is a team sport! It's not a cheap sport, in fact it's bl**dy expensive for us boaters, and teams do not split up to allow other people to have a fish!Amongst all the current competitors I know, I cant think of one single person who would do the dirty and dump their current partner to give someone else a ride who asked for it!Understand from a boaters point of view. These Classic series are TEAM events. We all have long standing partners, we have a responsibility to our partners, and we are committed to getting our partners out each and every comp! Every single competition we always fish with our same partner, and we head out and practice fishing together between comps. It's called a team and that's exactly how it works!They'd be pretty damn dark on us if we turned around and said "Sorry, someone on the website was looking for a ride so you're dumped!" Then they crack the shits, the team has broken up, but you are happy because you got a ride on a boat.It's bl**dy hard to get onto a boat for classic team events, and everyone is aware of that. It will only ever happen if someone is sick or injured on the weekend of the comp, or if a new boater enters the ring looking for a friend to fish with as a permanent partner.All you can do is throw your hat into the ring in case there is a last minute sickness or injury, and word will spread that you are looking for a ride and ready to go! You've already done that.That is the reason why the ABT has QUALIFYING events, so that people without boats (non-boaters) can finally have the chance to get out, and THAT is the best way to get onto a boat!Become an ABT member, choose the round(s) you want to fish, register and enter as a non-boater, and THAT will be your best chance to get out! The only way you will miss out then, is if you are late getting your entry in, and there are more non boaters than boaters registered. That's how WE all started in this sport!Failing that, you need to do what everyone else before you has done. They get together with a mate, they buy a boat, and they form a team to compete in these team events.It's pointless getting shitty though, because no-one out there wants to pay a few thousand to kit their boat out with livewell, leccy and electronics for bream tournaments, a few hundred dollars more to get their boat insured, then also pay a tournament entry fee so that you can get a ride in a tournament!I've done my best to get as many people out for a fish on my own boat as I possibly can (I'm taking someone else out tomorrow) because I know just how difficult it is to get onto a tournament boat, and I hope by taking them out it will help generate the interest for them to consider purchasing their own boats and entering themselves. I would never fish a tournament with anyone other than my partner Lazylure though, as I have a responsibility to my partner as a team, and keep in mind, every time I take someone else out for a days fishing, that's a day Lazylure has had to remain landlocked, and a days practice he has missed!With families, work and other commitments, we only get the chance to head out very bl**dy infrequently as it is! My own boat hasn't seen water since xmas!That holds our team back, we don't produce the same results other teams constantly fishing together can, because I'm always out showing others the ropes and helping newcomers instead of practicing with my partner. In the end that results in me and lazylure paying hundreds of dollars to enter these tournaments, while not being competitive enough to take a share in the prizes. We literally donate our entry money each tournament, because I always wanna waste all my time keeping other non competitors happy, and get non competitors out for a days fishing!As you know, I've even done my best to get competitors together to bring their boats along to "come and try social days", to get people onto boats for a day who wouldn't otherwise have the chance. You may not realise just how difficult it is to try getting all the boaters together to donate their time, experience and money for this!

Well said Ranger. I have brought my first tinny and in the process of converting it into a little bream boat, not so I can give Ranger the flick and start a new team but so if Ranger is busy I can still get out in my tinny and find fish and get some practice ready for comp day so we then have a plan. Look into getting your own tinny Brent so then you don't have to ask for a team mate with a boat, you can do the reverse. You can get away with a simple tinny with an esky for a live well, all these other things like an electric on the front and sounders are a luxury really, you don't 'have to have them' its not a rules requirement that have to have a leccy and a sounder, these are just convenience items, the only 'rules' are your tinny must be min 3.7m, a 25hp ourboard and a 60lt live well (esky solves that problem ;) )

no need to write tons of dribble.

geez boys .better still JAGGER, delete this whole thread

:huh: Writting stuff like that when all we are trying to do is help won't get you a seat on anyones boat IMHO :dry:Sambo Wrote:

One way of getting a foot in Brent would be to chase the bream landbased a bit harder, forget about the carp...... no carp ABT's or Classics Get really into the Bream and get to know them like the back of ya hand.... Post pics of ya catches on all the lure types and regularly so people can see ya know what your doing....Although these Comps are a bit of fun and socializing, the are SERIOUS aswell..... All the teams are out to win, so knowing the bream and best ways on the day to catch them is the key I've only been in one comp, just as a fill in.... other then that it is hard if you or a mate don't have a boat....Sambo

Exactly Sambo ;)Ranger Wrote:

Dunno why I bother either!

Because you care, you care about giving others the oppotunity to experience what we do and to generate intrest in our 'sport' to help boost comp numbers in our little estuary. ;)

I HATE to say it but this is starting to remind me of the sort of carry on I used to see on another site :huh::angry: I know I'm not the Forum's Head honcho, or even involved in the SABT, but If I was your mum I'd whup some of ya asses :P;):laugh: Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's true Hey are we Fishos trying to help each other out or what ? :huh: Has anyone actually asked Brent directly what the problem is or thought there may be more to it than meets the eye ?lazylure wrote:

Brent61SthOz wrote:

:huh: Writting stuff like that when all we are trying to do is help won't get you a seat on anyones boat IMHO :dry:
True lazzy, but then haven't we all said something we might regret when we're upset ? :huh: I'm sure Brent would have his reasons, but why not just ask him whats going on ?Brents not expecting to start at the top, and I dont think he's in a position to own a boat, so I think he's just "putting it out there" to see what's around
afishyfish wrote:

I HATE to say it but this is starting to remind me of the sort of carry on I used to see on another site :huh::angry: I know I'm not the Forum's Head honcho, or even involved in the SABT, but If I was your mum I'd whup some of ya asses :P;):laugh: Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's true Hey are we Fishos trying to help each other out or what ? :huh: Has anyone actually asked Brent directly what the problem is or thought there may be more to it than meets the eye ?lazylure wrote:

Brent61SthOz wrote:

:huh: Writting stuff like that when all we are trying to do is help won't get you a seat on anyones boat IMHO :dry:
True lazzy, but then haven't we all said something we might regret when we're upset ? :huh: I'm sure Brent would have his reasons, but why not just ask him whats going on ?Brents not expecting to start at the top, and I dont think he's in a position to own a boat, so I think he's just "putting it out there" to see what's around
No offence and nothing pointed at anyone especially you AFF, but this isn't exactly a work place where as a supervisor you have to stop and think/ask about what MAY be happening in someones personal life before giving them constructive chriticism, this is a topic on bream tournaments where people in the know have offered some very positive/truthful comments about the sport and it has been taken negatively by some members. No one is doubting the commitment or knowledge but a general understanding can change one's opinion/perspecitive. Some of the guys here have offered some valuable info through previous experience and instead of deleting this topic I think it more pertanent that it is left for others to understand how to go about perhaps getting a ride and a start in Bream comps.I was lucky enough to have a ride offered to me hopefully based on my boating knowledge and appreciation rather than my lure fishing knowledge and ability. I certainly never take it for granted but if I really wanted to get into it I would be hitting several sites, topics, coming down and lending a hand to the boys on the day... bascially doing what ever I could to get involved. As they say, good things come to those who wait and being negative will never get you anywhere.Not exactly sure what you are refering to on "other sites" AFF but this is an open forum where everyone has the right to an opinion and the chance to voice it. What I have seen on other sites has been childish and no thought process been put into the post. I guess that's the difference here. People do think, care and respect other fisherman enough to try and help them out even if they can't see it from the inside.Anyway..... I really do hope you get a ride one day Brent, look into every avenue mate and I'm sure you will get there.
Guest Brent61southoz

ok guys maybe it was or has been taken the incorrect way.i will admit that AFF was 100% correct .i do not look at anyone dumping a partner just for the cause ,possibly i couldve written more of an excuse (my bad).i do understand the hours and hours put in , the cost etc in entering on more of a regular basis .maybe if i had properly explained myself in the first instance this 'little blow up' would not have occurred .sorry tony no offence intended to you regular breamers . (not blowing kisses either)brent

Cheers mate! We all say things we sometimes wish we hadn't, we all have bad days and we all take things the wrong way.I had no intention of knocking you! I was just trying to explain (to everyone reading) why it may on the surface seem that no one is interested to help you out. I rattled on about it trying to make things perfectly clear to everyone reading, as it seems many people still confuse the ABT "boater/non-boater" events, with the Classic "team" events.I would also suggest stopping in to talk with Finatic. He is now an ABT sponsor store, and he has helped a few guys get rides, by teeing them up with other customers of his who have shown interest in the sport.

if I really wanted to get into it I would be hitting several sites, topics, coming down and lending a hand to the boys on the day... bascially doing what ever I could to get involved.

One thing I will say is that Brent isn't afraid to put his hand up! He is always putting in an appearance at events, contributing where he can, and offering to help.

Glad to see no punch ups :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Ranger wrote:

if I really wanted to get into it I would be hitting several sites, topics, coming down and lending a hand to the boys on the day... bascially doing what ever I could to get involved.
One thing I will say is that Brent isn't afraid to put his hand up! He is always putting in an appearance at events, contributing where he can, and offering to help.Very true Ranger, and BOY am I glad I dont hafta spank you now ;):laugh: I hope Brent doesnt mind me divulging this but for a start, I know hes had a LOT of illness to deal with in the last 2 years or so, and he's been drained pretty dry, physically, emotianaly and financially.He deserves a break ;):)

Here you go ya big Port Power Pansy I'll write what I think you really meant.Hi,Looking to get on someones boat for the SABT, if your short a partner or have been thinking of giving this touno stuff a go then I'm your man.Will pay my way,entry,fuel,help clean the boat after the event etcanytakers phone me on 0401135853 12.30pm-11.00pm anydayLooking forward to hearing from someonebrent

Guest shagging
Brent61southoz wrote:

awww tears in my eyes , nah , ive now got an eye infection.i cant win , oh well 2 days off workbrent

See looking at porn all day burns your eyes brent i told you that! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
samboman wrote:

I know that if i ever got a bream boat ready for a tournament, the first person i would ask to be my partner would be Brenton.... cause i know by his time and effort plus success at catching them he would be a very handy partner.... ;) Hopefully that day comes when i can afford a boat...sambo

I'm touched ;) well not in a physical way,more of a blokey sort of way :dry: hang on that didn't come out as i intended :S I just want to say i'm your man :blink: Jeepers :ohmy: ........That would be good Sambo B) And if there's ever a comp for undersize schoolies i know where they live :( cheers brenton