Have two worm farms and have decided that I can keep them cool enough now that all the worms wont die so have decided to start them up. But am not sure as to what worms I should be purchasing to get them started for bait up the river.The worms will not be touched that often so they will have plenty of time to breed and multiply but I'm not sure if I should get worms from a tackle shop or from somewhere like bunnings/mitre 10. The ones at mitre 10 have a larger quantity of worms but are a mixture of tiger worms etc so not so sure.Only want tiger worms and scrub worms (realise not as easy to procure) really so not sure what to do. Wouldn't mind having one worm farm dedicated to scrub worms but not sure if they will be happy with being grown in a worm farm. Has anyone had any experience with them?Apparently my worm farms can support 20000 worms in each so will let them breed up as long as possible so as to have them on hand whenever they are needed. But once they are fully bred up and established having a potential 40000 worms could be cool and can always thrown about the garden. Honestly only expecting maybe a quarter of that figure which will still be plenty :)So in summary1) Where is the best place to start off purchasing worms for a worm farm for bait?2) Is the idea of growing scrub worms in a worm farm feasible? and where can I aquire them?Thanks guysTom

I've been waiting for summer to end so that I can start my own off, but I'm a bit concerned about what I'm gonna do next season when the hot weather rolls around again and all the worms start to broil in a stew of hot dirt within a black plastic box. Any ideas on how to keep the things cool apart from bringing them into the house or chucking a piece of wet hessian over the top and hoping?I've also been told that these worm farms can tend to get a bit of a smell to them (be careful not to overfeed) so a bit of lime sprinkled over the top can also help keep the pong down. In regards to the types of worms for river fishing, I don't think the fish are really that fussy. Store bought bait worms contain either 3 different kinds or just tiger worms alone depending on where you purchase them.I recon I'd just buy a cheaper starter pack of worms, and I'd also get a tub or two of bait worms to mix in with them, then you'd have a variety of different species.I guess there must be dedicated and avid worm farmers out there. Have you tried a google search? Maybe you can get into contact with a local wormologist (is that a word?) who can sell you just the species you are looking for.

Had one for long time but more for fertiliser than bait. Current worms came from Bordertownhave plenty feed but not very fat.2nd last lot I got were much better but unfortunately lost the contact details.Worm farm worms can be bought from breeders for anything between $ 27.50 and $ 40.00 per 1000 not sure how that stacks up against Mitre 10 or bunnings.How to keep them cool:Mine are in corner of the shade house, have a piece of iron on the side and a piece over the top, have a piece of hardie board in front all designed to keep direct sunlight of the containers.Also have a piece of carpet on the top of bin.When it get to around 37-38 I wet the carpet with water and 40 over over do a twice a day.However if 40 + for a few days then it becomes difficult, breeder told me to take top of during the day BUT don't forget to put it back early evening otherwise no worms left next day.I also put a couple sheets of newspaper of top of scraps, paper will get moist and assist worms to keep cool. The only time mine ever got smelly was a couple years ago when I lost the lot due to heat, if so dig it into garden, good fertilier.As well, I put castings with a bit of water in 3 litre milk cottles.When feeding plants shake bottle and use about 1/2 litre to 8-9 litre of water.Would not buy any better fertiliser in the shop :) . Well folks hope that is of some help.

Thanks for the tips on keeping them cool chaps, have the same probelm with them dying in the heat. The place they are kept gets no direct sunlight, but there isnt a lot of airflow through there either. Will have to try the methods described above.SS, I understand that well fed & undisturbed, the number of worms will double every 6 weeks. Depending on how often you intend to harvest, the store bought $5.00 packet would possibly be enough.Interestingly, I've tried having tigers and the common garden variety in together. Have never managed to find the garden variety in there after putting them in.Like others, only time I have a problem with the smell is when they die.

Thanks lads,Will just buy bulk from bunnings or something (I think the prices are about the same) :) If the heat gets that bad I'll bring them into the laundry... Hopefully the missus wont spot them :) They will be in full shade so hopefully fine and i'll just put wet newspaper on top.Two more questions1. Can you hose down the outside of the farms to keep them cool without flooding them? (I have two 'can-o-worms' worm farms)2. Can rats and mice get into them? I live next to a creek and they are everywhere :(

statesquider wrote:

01 and i'll just put wet newspaper on top.Two more questions1. Can you hose down the outside of the farms to keep them cool without flooding them? (I have two 'can-o-worms' worm farms)2. Can rats and mice get into them? I live next to a creek and they are everywhere :(

01. Paper might blow away when dry, an old bit of carpet is better and put half a brick on top.1. Yes and if carpet on top (will insulate as well) soak the carpet too, no need to remove.2. No, especially if you have half brick on lid and make sure there are no little gaps,sometimes when you put too many scraps in the one on top might be a little raised.In regards to putting in laundry,bit difficult to lift and carry :)

these guys sell worms to top up your farm, says they have up to 5 species in the mix too.hell of a lot cheaper than most places sell just pure reds too."We have up to 5 worms species in our compost worm mix. They are reds, tigers, blues, Africans and Gardeners Friend worms."http://www.kookaburrawormfarms.com.au/index.aspx?page=14ive only got the reds in my farm at the moment but once it gets a little more established ill be adding 2000 of the mixed worms to breed for bait

I always found the nightcrawlers and scrubbies are the best bait they are best grown in beds of peat with not too much moisture but they like a cool climate. (grow well in tassie)Tigers are good for berly and bait for reddies and are the most effecient at breaking down greenwaste and miltiplying but arent as good a bait for natives.cheers wes

Haha :) would love to know anything i can about scrubbies and nightcrawlers if anyone else would care to share :) I'm very keen on scrubbies... No pressure but anyone that shares is very much appreciated! Any info is new info! Didn't know others were that keen on this :) I'd love to have 3 or 4 worms farms going with different worms going! If i ever get too many i'll put them in the garden of give them away! Need a fishing related hobby for home :)

pescados wrote:

Something I been told and not sure if correct or not:Apparently worm farm worms don't last long in the ground in the garden ?? Don't know why.Any one got a info on that ??

I couldn't agree with that. From the time I was old enough to hold a rod my old man had a worm farm going. Each week the lawn clippings would go onto it and it would be covered with a few old hessian sacks. Never have I seen so many worms, and this lasted for years and years until he decided to give it all away.
Ranger wrote:

I couldn't agree with that. From the time I was old enough to hold a rod my old man had a worm farm going. Each week the lawn clippings would go onto it and it would be covered with a few old hessian sacks. Never have I seen so many worms, and this lasted for years and years until he decided to give it all away.

Was that in the garden or in containers ??Apparently there is quite a difference between earth worms and worms used in containers.
  • 2 weeks later...

Put a bag of bran in with them they love it and it fattens them up nicely - about $2 from colesI've just done a job on a vinyard and turned over a pile of 3 year old pressings - never seen so many red wriggly things :woohoo: Might have to pick up a 10 tonne load - Its great having big toys - you can have so much fun :P

Guest Noob fisher
wes80 wrote:

Noob fisher wrote:

can you use these worms in salt water fishing? not sure if it will make much of a difference

plenty of people use them for bream especially in upper reaches of estury systems ;)
ahk i was meaning more like whiting and shittys, ahwell im gonna have to buy worms i guess